Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Scanning DIY for Epson scanners (v700/v750/v800/v850)

Re: 8x10 Scanning DIY for Epson scanners (v700/v750/v800/v850)

Sorry, US dollars.

Hi Pali,

I suggest you start a Forum Poll, in a new thread, instructions are somewhere...around here.

Perhaps include how much people would pay with shipping. Shipping fragile aluminum may require special consideration.

Ask about the 'black edges' which is called 'rebate' preference.

Then the trick question, which is. At what height does your Epson 7xx or 8xx scanner scan best?
    It's a trick question because it reveals 2 things. 1, Actual heights being used. 2, It means that person has already solved his or her problem and will most likely not buy yours.

Unwanted advice, here's more.

Is aluminum the best material? Which grade aluminum? Anodized?

What about liability? Sharp edges cut fingers.

What will be the machined surface smoothness 'RA' be? How about dimensional tolerances, or precise thickness. If 1/2 mm is a big deal, so are a bunch of parameters.

5X7 would be very nice. Be aware 5X7 MAY use a different higher resolution scanning lens which may have different height issues and masking codes to calibrate an Epson.

I prefer NOT including the rebate, so we can tape the film better.

Scanning rebate is imitation contact printing and can be done in Post. Thus not necessary technically.

If you cannot produce and sell for double production cost, you will lose money.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Hopefully!

Tin Can

+1, I could sure use one of these frames on my V700.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Hi Pali,

I suggest you start a Forum Poll, in a new thread, instructions are somewhere...around here.

Perhaps include how much people would pay with shipping. Shipping fragile aluminum may require special consideration.

Ask about the 'black edges' which is called 'rebate' preference.

Then the trick question, which is. At what height does your Epson 7xx or 8xx scanner scan best?
    It's a trick question because it reveals 2 things. 1, Actual heights being used. 2, It means that person has already solved his or her problem and will most likely not buy yours.

Unwanted advice, here's more.

Is aluminum the best material? Which grade aluminum? Anodized?

What about liability? Sharp edges cut fingers.

What will be the machined surface smoothness 'RA' be? How about dimensional tolerances, or precise thickness. If 1/2 mm is a big deal, so are a bunch of parameters.

5X7 would be very nice. Be aware 5X7 MAY use a different higher resolution scanning lens which may have different height issues and masking codes to calibrate an Epson.

I prefer NOT including the rebate, so we can tape the film better.

Scanning rebate is imitation contact printing and can be done in Post. Thus not necessary technically.

If you cannot produce and sell for double production cost, you will lose money.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Hopefully!

Wow.
    It's a piece of metal with a hole cut in it. Either you want one or you don't.
    I made mine on my milling machine in an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Wow.
    It's a piece of metal with a hole cut in it. Either you want one or you don't.
    I made mine on my milling machine in an hour.
    So your labor is worthless?

Machine time is free?

Make us all one.

Tin Can

Just tell me how much and take my money! lol...

I want to keep this as simple as possible and am only going to do anything to help those who need it. Don't need to make any money from this because it is not going to be a business or anything even remotely close to it. I just think this holder can benefit some of us and for those of us who want one, I am going to try to pass this to you at cost. I can't say for sure but I would imagine a custom made holder from a machine shop would come at a ridiculous price. If anyone knows some place where we could get it made at a lower rate, please let us know because that would of course be the preference. As FYI, my dad's cost is an estimate based on labor he has to pay for the machine operator plus what it would cost to get the aluminum sheets. Don't know what else to say other than that I can understand that a simple piece like this should not cost this much but when I do the math given his setup, it adds up.

Now on to a quick update, my dad is checking with his contacts to see if he can get these sheets pressed and then mill only the necessary areas to keep the cost low. That said we are dealing with very low numbers and it will be challenging to get a better price on it than doing it in house. I am also going to see if he can have a modified version made to see if we can make it more flexible with height variations.

Not going to make any promises but I will try my best to help if you are still interested knowing this will be around 70-80 USD excluding shipping. This will ship from MD, USA so factor that in when you are thinking about it.

Pali

Netsoft2k- When it gets up and running can you place me on the waitlist? (would it be possible to get one that shows the full 8x10 image?)

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    Netsoft2k- When it gets up and running can you place me on the waitlist? (would it be possible to get one that shows the full 8x10 image?)
    Only if you'll help me figure out exactly how to make one for us and take some pressure off me Keep in mind I am just a fellow photographer who wants to help but not sure the best way to do that just yet.

Anyways, I am wondering if we should compromise slight borders on the top and bottom edge so mounting is easier? Those should be just pure black parts that can easily be added later in post.

Pali

Or just make two versions of the film guide. I'm just looking for an aluminum frame guide for scanning 8x10 so I don't have to waste time readjusting the negative on the platen glass. The plastic film guide that comes with the Epson scanners are rubbish but if there was one made out of aluminum maybe that would allow me to have a better workflow since I put a piece of glass over the negative anyways.

I wish I could help but when it comes to machining things I'm of no use