Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plan or project: post the way you go

Plan or project: post the way you go

Hi,

I have designed in the past a couple of photographic projects for my own use, and have accomplished it with a great satisfaction and very good results.
    This time I'm in need of another one, but it doesn't materialize so easily as it used to be.

To make myself clear, I name a project an idea founded with resources, a period of time (weeks, months or years) for image capture, and a clear subject. Re-visiting old/accomplished project locations is out of question: as I mean here a really new one.

In this thread, you can share the following points, as you want, or add yours:
    - Projects you have completed in the past, and if your expectations were fulfilled (or not, and why),
    - Projects you have now, and in which point they are (you can hide details about it, as a half of a project is the impact of surprise, novelty or originality it offers to the audience or the author).
    - Your interest can be driven to specific purposes or resources (as the specificity of the subject is one of the most important requirements for project focusing): studio, landscape, macro, aerial, portraiture, social, street photography... You name it.
    - If any project you're working connects with any other form of art (dance, architecture, sculpture, music, etc.)
    - What's the more limiting factor for you for a project deployment: financial resources, available time, equipment, knowledge, physical condition, other...
    - If it's important to you and to which degree to have a project aside, or if you're driven by a spark of inspiration and go out absolutely intuitively and moved only by your inspiration. And if you consider planning a "passion murder" for the way you make your photographs.

So that's it. I want to hear from you your success and failures of the past, and the future plans for the future as well.

Thanks for sharing your past and present experiences, and your plans,

Cheers,

Renato

Re: Plan or project: post the way you go

OK, I'll bite. I occasionally bicycle with my wife and friends in farming areas near where I live. I decided to carry a camera with me once, and came home with this image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BVD_silos.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	158769

Some time later my wife needed to do some work at the rural school where she is employed, and we decided to combine it with a bike ride and some photographing for me while she worked. On the drive out I made this photograph:

Name:	rr_xing.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	158770

I again carried my camera on the bike ride, and captured this image:

Name:	bale+peninsula.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	158771

And finally, while she worked I found this:

Name:	newell_gg.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	158772

From those images a project was born, with the subject being the human farming landscape of the area where I live. The project has no definite timeline, and will probably continue for many years. That said, I hope to have a fairly complete body of work in another year or so that I could share in a local showing. I will post a few more images in a following post.

This body of work is definitely influenced by the work of David Plowden, but hopefully contains my own stamp. I have attempted to present the subjects in a way that indicates its visual interest but is not overly sentimental or dramatic. I believe this is true to the feelings of those who live and work in these areas.

I have one other ongoing project that arose in the same manner - I found that I had accumulated a small body of related images and decided to expand those into a project. There is another project I had and may try to resurrect, but in that case I decided on the project and THEN started photographing. That may have been a mistake, because it hasn't gone much of anywhere. I think I will return to that project with a different (and particular) camera and see if I can make it work.

I don't know if this is the kind of thing you are looking for, but it's what I've got!

Here are a few more images:

Name:	potato_truck.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	158781 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haystack_line.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	158782 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newell_elevator.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	158783 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stonebridge.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	158784

h2oman,

That's another approach that I find definitively very interesting: start with a small images set and THEN define a project which encompasses that set, adding more (in number of images, deepness, locations, etc).

There's a guy here who have made a railroad project in NYC and he posted some pics of the show he made some time ago - not related with yours, just as a side note of my memory. I forgot his nick, but there is indeed a small chance he drive his attention around this post to talk more about it, it would be interesting to know how his idea has emerged.

Anyway, that's the way things happens, with a bike ride around town, observing, taking a shot here and another down there... We can't forget that our "thing" is visually driven: with just a pen and a paper sheet only, we usually do not go any further: we need some visual motor to make us move - in our case, by visual motor I mean pictures.

Cheers,

Renato

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Here are a few more images:
    NICE! You know what I immediately liked in this series? Apart the subject, the uniformity of the color pallet you have used to show it. It's a strong cohesive medium, really is.

Cheers,

I don't plan photography shooting any further than making time in a busy life. An occasional show requires planning too.

Otherwise, I will probably die of old age (currently 41) shooting woods and shore in my area.

A show or blurb book is a good incentive assure order if you need it.

I also tend to "start" a project after I've found a connection between other images I've already done. I have a couple of ideas I'm kinda trying to expand. The most limiting thing for me is time. I don't get to shoot when I want to and have to find subjects that work with the light I have, not always the light I wish I had.

Hmmm....one project I've long wanted to do is make a ULF pin hole camera out of an old wine barrel, put it in the bed of a pick up truck and make photos of interesting looking wineries. Unfortunately I "clunkered" my pick up back in 2009
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by RSalles View Post
    There's a guy here who have made a railroad project in NYC and he posted some pics of the show he made some time ago - not related with yours, just as a side note of my memory. I forgot his nick, but there is indeed a small chance he drive his attention around this post to talk more about it, it would be interesting to know how his idea has emerged.
    That's http://john-sanderson.com/ I'm a huge fan of his work, and should have mentioned him as an influence, especially his railroad landscapes series.

John,

Preliminary steps of the project in question:
    a) fix the damn pick-up ASAP
    I found your idea a crazy/interesting one!
    As a side note, the barrel on the truck is a very good procedure: we're often invited to proof the wine quality in this circumstances, what poses an issue with long exposures/steady required by its f128, f256 pinhole aperture.

Aqua-man,

You've nailed it, John Sanderson, it's the guy's name,

Cheers,

Renato