Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smugmug et al

Smugmug et al

Hello everyone-

I think that this has been covered before, but I can't find any threads. If I'm interested in posting my photos for sale on-line, what choices are there and which do you prefer? (Or a link to a thread - I'm drawing a blank...)

Thanks,
    Mike Hartfield

Re: Smugmug et al

Hey Mike, I just signed up for a SmugMug account to post photos of my kids sports for the teams and parents. I'm not doing it for profit, but SmugMug offers some really good options for selling your images, plus they offer a free 15 day trial.
    SmugMug has a nice interface and many gallery options.
    Good Luck!

-Brad

I'm looking at PhotoShelter.com for a web site and sales. A little more expensive but designed specifically for photographers. Haven't dived in yet though.

multiplex

i have been selling reproductions of my work through imagekind.com ...
    i've been doing it there for over a year ....
    you can do it for free, or pay and get a storefront and on-site-promotion ...
    imagekind makes reproductions ( ultrachrome on paper and canvas ) not my darkroom handywork,
    that's ok because a lot of the things i make are small and one of a kind /can't be reproduced so it works out.
    like any of the online places .. there are a million-and-one-people also selling
    on the same site, so you have to do your own marketing / promotion ...

good luck !
    john

Photoshelter then market it lots yourself,see my site........
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

I did a lot of comparison of available options recently and wound up going with Imagekind (mine is here). Right now I'm just working on building up the images in the galleries and haven't started promoting yet, but overall I have been very impressed with Imagekind.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    ... overall I have been very impressed with Imagekind.
    same here ...

If your looking to sell commercial or editorial stock images there are a number of microstock sites that elicit subscriptions from image buyers to get traffic. There is somewhat of an photo entrance review by most to get accepted and the prices paid the artist are listed on each site. If your interested in such, this link gives a quick overview of the top ones. http://www.stockphotoexpert.com/sell...photo_agencies

Smugmug which I was on for awhile when photographing a rock band competition over the course of a year provides the printing service for sales. Unfortunately band people can be cheap and will just steal whatever digital image that is up unless you go for the PRO package that prevented downloading the larger file. I didn't mind, but if I was trying to really make money at it the Pro package is the only way to go.

I just had an interesting response to a thread I posted over at APUG about selling pictures online about macrostock agencies which is another way to go. I'm looking to market some of my images so am reading as much as I can and reviewing my pictures to see if they fall in the guidelines required by the microstock agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by anglophone1 View Post
    Photoshelter then market it lots yourself,see my site........
    The photographs from what looks like a Porsche Club get-together sure brought back some memories. Thanks, nice images.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Been shooting 356s and 911s today on Agfa RSX wth Aero Ektar!!
    Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    The photographs from what looks like a Porsche Club get-together sure brought back some memories. Thanks, nice images.
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France