Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How sensitive is the Epson V700 to source height above glass?

Re: How sensitive is the Epson V700 to source height above glass?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    FWIW, the maximum resolution for the lens in those Epson v700 is about 2000 dpi.... any thing more than that is just wasting memory. 6400 is an interpolated number that "looks good" on the box.
    It's definitely more than 2000 DPI (PPI). Most people don't get beyond that because the stock holders are bad.

Also the 6400 DPI number is not a software interpolated number. I say this because VueScan allows me to do raw scans at 6400. It doesn't prove much because the scanner hardware itself could be interpolating things are you're suggesting. Also I'm not saying you can get that much out of it but I'm quite certain it's a proper optical resolution. Would like to know if you're saying this based on some experimental evidence because I'm very interested in knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by genotypewriter View Post
    It's definitely more than 2000 DPI (PPI). Most people don't get beyond that because the stock holders are bad.

Also the 6400 DPI number is not a software interpolated number. I say this because VueScan allows me to do raw scans at 6400. It doesn't prove much because the scanner hardware itself could be interpolating things are you're suggesting. Also I'm not saying you can get that much out of it but I'm quite certain it's a proper optical resolution. Would like to know if you're saying this based on some experimental evidence because I'm very interested in knowing.
    In View Camera magazine the late Ted Harris published results of his tests of the V700/750 shortly after they first hit the market. I belive his tests showed that the scanner could resolve about 2100 ppi.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    In View Camera magazine ... shortly after they first hit the market.
    Then it's very likely that he tested it with the stock holders that came in the box. Not sure how much later people started making custom holders. But they make a difference like night and day. It's the same as shooting a camera out of focus vs. in focus.

In no way I'm saying the 6400 DPI setting will give scans that are usable at that resolution. Even a 6400 DPI digital camera sensor will struggle greatly with the best of lenses, as I noted earlier.

When I make scans they're scanned at the maximum resolution the scanner hardware supports in the "raw" mode, which I suspect is the native resolution. I of course rescale these down to usable sizes and if the shot is up for it, 3200 DPI and seeing 1 pixel wide detail is not very difficult. That is with a plain dry scan. Wet scans will make things even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Actually, looks like the illustrations at Betterscanning show base side on glass.

(The film notches above the white glove indicate emulsion side is “up.”)

I’ve done both ways, and my personal results are best the opposite way – emulsion side on glass – but others here w/ reasons of their own prefer base side on glass, like the photo below.

The critical point, of course, is to tape the film sheet on the ANR (etched) side of the glass – and use more than four pieces of tape! I usually use at least 6 or 8 pieces to better ensure flatness.
    Betterscanning's advice about putting the emulsion side up taped to the ANR glass was in an email he sent to me in response to a question I asked.