Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Diy flashbulb gun

Re: Diy flashbulb gun

No your handle is missing a crucial part. Return that garbage. Where are you?

Somebody near you has a working handle. The right reflector is crucial.

Heck anybody in CONUS can ship one 2 day for peanuts.

Since you want directional flash. Buy the big reflector like in my pics for $10 at any hardware store and a 6 volt lantern battery. The big one with screw posts. Wire it up. 10 minutes to make with pocket knife and tape.

Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    I do see the difference. Slightly disappointing.

I will have to locate one eventually.

In the meantime do you believe a bayonet to E26 adapter would at least get me functional?

I am in a bit of a pickle as I'm running into a deadline for some pictures I need to produce, which were the reason I got into these flashbulbs in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    No your handle is missing a crucial part. Return that garbage. Where are you?

Somebody near you has a working handle. The right reflector is crucial.

Heck anybody in CONUS can ship one 2 day for peanuts.

Since you want directional flash. Buy the big reflector like in my pics for $10 at any hardware store and a 6 volt lantern battery. The big one with screw posts. Wire it up. 10 minutes to make with pocket knife and tape.
    I am going to take your advice. Luckily the seller agreed to take it back.

I have a work light reflector in my shed I can use.

Since this is basically fill for landscapes I really don't need sync. At least for the sake of producing this current work I'm extremely glad to have your help.

I made this and it worked. HD has a very nice 10" reflector but it doesn't have an on off switch so I wired a momentary push switch and it worked

Thanks!

Glad to help.

Now the fun really starts!

I processed a sheet last night from my test. You guys were not kidding this bulb puts out a TON of beautiful light. The quality of the light is much different than an electronic strobe. It may just be the large reflector but I think the bulb itself has interesting characteristics

I hope to see your images!

It just occurred to me that you did the right thing by improvising a flash because we don't know what kind of flash unit you have/had. It looked like a generic Graflex type, but if it were a Busch B-C synchronizer then there would be disappointment because it is very different: The Bush B-C has a capacitor inside the tube, and uses an Ever-ready 22.5V #412 to fire the bulb, and/or to trip an optional solenoid located on the lens board. (In addition, and as an option the tube takes two additional penlight batteries that only serve to illuminate an optional Kalart Focuspot.) Too complex, IMHO!

Randy Moe has probably run into the strange Busch flashbulb unit. In some uses it requires a Busch 'short circuit' plug that goes into the Edison/Mazda plug, but can also use some early household fuses or even a household light bulb instead.

Good luck to you! Yep bulbs have a lot of soft light, and if you shoot indoors without a reflector the light bounces all over the place making the light even softer.

Randy - I'm in a fix. I have to connect a shutter to a two-pin cord, but the shutter's pins are each screwed onto tiny posts. One of the pins is missing and never in my life have I seen another.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post

Randy - I'm in a fix. I have to connect a shutter to a two-pin cord, but the shutter's pins are each screwed onto tiny posts. One of the pins is missing and never in my life have I seen another.
    Jac, i have not had the pleasure of your shutter pin problem. What about using a tiny bolt? I cannot visualize your problem. Pictures always help, but I know you can DIY with the best of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    It just occurred to me that you did the right thing by improvising a flash because we don't know what kind of flash unit you have/had. It looked like a generic Graflex type, but if it were a Busch B-C synchronizer then there would be disappointment because it is very different: The Bush B-C has a capacitor inside the tube, and uses an Ever-ready 22.5V #412 to fire the bulb, and/or to trip an optional solenoid located on the lens board. (In addition, and as an option the tube takes two additional penlight batteries that only serve to illuminate an optional Kalart Focuspot.) Too complex, IMHO!

Randy Moe has probably run into the strange Busch flashbulb unit. In some uses it requires a Busch 'short circuit' plug that goes into the Edison/Mazda plug, but can also use some early household fuses or even a household light bulb instead.

Good luck to you! Yep bulbs have a lot of soft light, and if you shoot indoors without a reflector the light bounces all over the place making the light even softer.

Contact a shaver repairman. The bipost connector is basically the same as older electric shaver cord contacts. Also the same as electronic cheater cords for older tv and other devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Contact a shaver repairman. The bipost connector is basically the same as older electric shaver cord contacts. Also the same as electronic cheater cords for older tv and other devices.
    Great info, Bob! I probably have some of that stuff in storage!

Randy: "Jac, i have not had the pleasure of your shutter pin problem. What about using a tiny bolt? I cannot visualize your problem. Pictures always help" [...]
    I can do that, but first I have to run downtown to pick up a tool they backordered for me. Later!