Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: More Kodak discontinuations

Re: More Kodak discontinuations

It reallly pains me to spend $7/sheet for b&w film; for some reason more than shooting 3-4 sheets of $4 film.

I'm slowly getting over it, but grudgingly. What's getting me over it is that every sheet is a keeper and it looks awesome. Not that the $4 stuff is bad, the Kodak stuff is just better at resisting scratches, pinholes, better dynamic range, better reciprocity, etc... No risking $7 on a shot, no reward. The stakes are bigger, and results are bigger and better. On 4x5 I stick with the good stuff regardless of cost, but the price difference per sheet is much less.

Probably in the same way multiple cheap mediocre take-out meals go unappreciated, but a nice higher end dinner experience is much appreciated.

Not disparaging cheap film; I just bought some Xray film and think it's worth trying anything to create film images.

Quote Originally Posted by Helcio J Tagliolatto View Post
    ...320 TXP / 10 sh 8 x 10 in Special Order Only...How could such iconic film have so low demand in the US?...
    Judging from what I read here and on other forums, many if not most 8x10 photographers seem to feel that TMY-2 is greatly superior, so they want that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Won't a place like B&H easily fulfill the special order requirements?
    Apparently it will have difficulty doing that. For example, Canham has managed to complete only one 8x10 TMY-2 special order nearly 11 months ago, with a second attempt falling short in October

http://www.canhamcameras.com/kodakfilmstatus.html.

This despite his minimum number of boxes being 218, fewer than the B&H minimum of 245 boxes

http://www.canhamcameras.com/kodakfilm.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...MY_8_x_10.html.

Although B&H asks "only" $73.50 per box, compared to Canham's $77.00, it has not to my knowledge sold anyone the minimum quantity since TMY-2 became a special order item. Note that these are 10-sheet boxes.

As this is typed, B&H has 97 boxes of 8x10 320TXP in stock and is offering free shipping within the US

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...x10_Tri_X.html.

Badger had 24 boxes yesterday, but has only 4 boxes right now

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/...t_detail&p=659

after noting the discontinuation on its Web page.

For my purposes, 8x10 320TXP works better than TMY-2. Given most people's apparent preference for the latter, as well as Kodak's shaky status in general, this may be the last opportunity to purchase any. Consequently, I added as much to my cache this morning as our freezer will accommodate. I suggest anyone who feels the same act similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    I knew there was a reason for me switching to Ilford for B&W films several decades ago.
    I did not do it decades ago, but in the last few years I have made the move to HP5 and little FP4.

Sad, I still feel like a trader at times, but at the end of the day, who is taking care of us, not Kodak.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...x10_Tri_X.html

Shows in stock, ten-sheet boxes of 8x10 Kodak Tri-X 4164 for $54.95 with free shipping.

Tell me that's a great deal and that I should buy 100 boxes to double my money in six months.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...x10_Tri_X.html

Shows in stock, ten-sheet boxes of 8x10 Kodak Tri-X 4164 for $54.95 with free shipping.

Tell me that's a great deal and that I should buy 100 boxes to double my money in six months.
    Can't tell you that. Since I posted just over an hour ago, their stock has gone down from 97 boxes to 92.

... ten-sheet boxes of 8x10 Kodak Tri-X 4164 for $54.95 with free shipping.

Love the film... been thinking about buying the 100 boxes myself for personal consumption, but I just can't bring myself to push the button, due to the lack of value.

It pains me to see watch Kodak right now... it is like watching a slow motion train wreck. Loved their products, but they screwed the pooch business-strategy wise and it is too late for them to recover without going through chapter 11.

Maybe Frank will buy the TXP recipe, one of the coating machines, a slitter, etc. and he will make sheet TXP for us in his garage on weekends...

No ;-/

Hey the Impossible Project bought a factory, hired the ex-employees, and got Ilford involved and they still can't make a stable product after several years. I wouldn't dare tackle TXP (even though I know you're kidding).

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Can't tell you that. Since I posted just over an hour ago, their stock has gone down from 97 boxes to 92.
    How are you viewing their stock numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    It reallly pains me to spend $7/sheet for b&w film; for some reason more than shooting 3-4 sheets of $4 film.

I'm slowly getting over it, but grudgingly. What's getting me over it is that every sheet is a keeper and it looks awesome. Not that the $4 stuff is bad, the Kodak stuff is just better at resisting scratches, pinholes, better dynamic range, better reciprocity, etc... No risking $7 on a shot, no reward. The stakes are bigger, and results are bigger and better. On 4x5 I stick with the good stuff regardless of cost, but the price difference per sheet is much less.

Probably in the same way multiple cheap mediocre take-out meals go unappreciated, but a nice higher end dinner experience is much appreciated.

Not disparaging cheap film; I just bought some Xray film and think it's worth trying anything to create film images.
    Do you have those problems with Ilford? These problems sound like what folks are saying about Foma, but I've never had any problems with Ilford film. I just checked the Freestyle web site and Ilford 8x10 B&W is almost the same price as Foma, at least "Foma brand Foma." TXP is $5.99 a sheet. HP5+ is $4.40. Fomapan 400 is $3.99 a sheet and Arista rebranded Foma is $2.79 a sheet.

I understand and agree with what you're saying, just wondering what film you're talking about. If Kodak prices are too much and Foma/Adox etc. are too unreliable and problematic, I'd go to Ilford, unless you're saying you have these problems with Ilford?

You can view their stock by attempting to buy it, type in a high guess for quantity, then a lower one, see what gets rejected and accepted. 4-5 guesses and you can tell.

I'm not shooting 8x10 or I would buy a bunch. I don't want to try to sell it in year, people may adjust and be happy enough with HP5 and not want to pay for TXP (which is the root of the problem....)

Thanks Sal for calling it to our attention.

Where else is a reliable stockist besides Freestyle, B&H, and Badger?