Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Star Trails!

Beginner

Re: First Star Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I thought your question was refreshing!

We get so much long-winded technical expertise here, it’s startling to hear simple questions about the universe.

Funny thing is, no one here could answer your simple question to anyone else’s satisfaction – there will always be something technically misleading about it, and in dire need of immediate correction, or entertaining irony...

However, Vaughn’s single-sentence explanation does quite an admirable job, even if it fails to take into account that... ;^)
    Well it was a very stupid question... I think my brain is telling me that after being awake for now 35 hours it is time to go to bed. Maybe I'll forget that the earth orbits the sun within the next few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    ...However, Vaughn’s single-sentence explanation does quite an admirable job, even if it fails to take into account that... ;^)
    Occasionally I have to take an orange and an apple and pretend they are the earth and sun in order to remind myself in which direction the earth is rotating...but still screw it up anyway.

On one my 11-day solo backpacking trips I use to take in the Grand Canyon, I lined my 4x5 camera up with one of the Canyon's "cathedrals" so its point was under the north star. Unfortunately I fell asleep and did not wake up until the sky had started to lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by pbryld View Post
    Well it was a very stupid question... I think my brain is telling me that after being awake for now 35 hours it is time to go to bed. Maybe I'll forget that the earth orbits the sun within the next few minutes.
    Pbryld, don't dis-pare, it's not your fault! The majority of earthlings live where they can never see stars, at least not many. I swear that last night it was so clear out here in the desert mountains I could see Jupiter's Moons by the unaided eye.

(Shrek)

I focus on a distant street light, and move the camera to check all corners of the gg. This gives me the right depth of field (at f11-16) to get objects like trees in focus, and since the stars appear to be moving, I don't care if they're slightly out of focus. If anything, it increases their 'size'. But it's important to get the film plane perfectly parallel to the lens, otherwise the same star's trail will appear to change in size and intensity across it's travel. Even so, with wide lenses especially (and no center filter), there is a risk of noticeable artifacts unless the North Star is centered in the frame.