Page 13 of 403 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    I do some traditional copper-plate photogravures (took lessons from Lothar Osterburg's classes in Brooklyn, NY) which is quite difficult -- what with the chromium and the ferric chloride etc -- but there are much easier techniques out there.

For example, try solar plate etching.
    Well, it's not the difficulty or danger holding me back, it's finding a decent intaglio press that isn't several thousand dollars.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

sandy ,, I don't blame you, I wouldn't post any photos on this thread either...

I may be winding down here myself,,, ppl just don't seem to appreciate anything you do and I'm finally seeing that..

the sad part is some of these ppl I refer to had offspring

I don't understand the controversy. Why someone visits this site is based on what he/she expects to find. If I shop at a bicycle store I don't expect to get advice on a motorized bike for racing at Tour de France. If I visit APUG, I expect to find discussions on traditional photographic methods; not on how only the end result matters. For the Alt Photo forum, I don't expect to find discussions on how Corel Painter can emulate all processes. If I visit B&S forum on Carbon printing, hope to not find discussions on carbon inkjet printing. So why should I visit this site and expect to find discussions on replacing my Large Format cameras with some other format? Even though Photo.net is a one size fits all photo site, they have categories; and one does not find discussions of sensor size in the neg development section.
    I hope the LF forum remains Large Format, its what I would expect to find here.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    I don't understand the controversy...
    I hope the LF forum remains Large Format, its what I would expect to find here.
    The 'controversy' is the pain of sorts it is to artists (not a dirty word!) who are forced to split their work - and by extension, themselves - to post on one forum or another. Like many contemporary photographers, my work weaves through many materials and many formats. I've pretty much given up trying to post images anywhere but my own site, and, as most of us know, that can be a pretty lonely way to go

I completely understand the need for a website to have an identity. The world is homogeneous enough already. But, every serious photography site should have a forum (such as 'On Photography') that encompasses the whole of our increasingly marvelous craft.

d

I am away from home and can not do so, but could someone please post another image before this thread loses its interest?

I concur...I was really enjoying the work...
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Curbelo View Post
    I am away from home and can not do so, but could someone please post another image before this thread loses its interest?
    I don't know whether it will loose interest, as I find the discussion important.

But - I surely hope the people involved in the discussion will continue to post images.

here is one.

Bromoil print of Cecilie.

Here is one of my newer Black glass ambrotypes.

Ray

Tea-toned Cyanotype. A cheap black tea for several minutes.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    The 'controversy' is the pain of sorts it is to artists (not a dirty word!) who are forced to split their work - and by extension, themselves - to post on one forum or another. Like many contemporary photographers, my work weaves through many materials and many formats. I've pretty much given up trying to post images anywhere but my own site, and, as most of us know, that can be a pretty lonely way to go

d

Thanks Denise,

I think we are kindred souls so I am not surprised that you understand. And I appreciate your comments.

BTW, your site is fabulous, as I may have already mentioned in the past. I would like to do something similar for carbon transfer printing but just starting out to make something like this seems overwhelming.

Sandy King