Page 9 of 403 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Thanks Don. The print is a little softer than the scan...almost like a pencil drawing.

Lovely print Peter, it has the feel of an Escher drawing.

Kirk Gititngs elected to delete one of the prints I posted to this thread because it was not made with a large format camera, even though I said nothiong about capture type when I originally posted the image.

Let me point out this is a category called, "On Photography", in a thread called "Post Alternative Techniques". The capture type and size may be of importance to some people but I find the issue totally irrelevant in a thread such as this one, which is about aesthetics, philisoophy, history, photograhers and photographs, not about equipment. And in any event, many alternative printers would hold that the actual size of the final negative used to make the print, which is always by contact printing, is more importanat than the size or type of the capture camera in determining format.

Sandy King

Sandy, This issue has been discussed numerous times in the past and i believe the consensus is that if the capture format is not Large Format then it belongs in the Lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    Sandy, This issue has been discussed numerous times in the past and i believe the consensus is that if the capture format is not Large Format then it belongs in the Lounge.

Actually I don't recall that the issue has ever been discussed with regard to alternative print making. My view is that specifically with regard to alternative print making we are always contact printing with a same size negative, usually large format, regardless of the type or size of the original image capture.

If the restrictive view is that alternative printing only be discussed from the perspective of LF cameras then I would suggest that any discussions of alternative print making be confined to the lounge since a very high percentage of the best work being done today is with digital negatives made from original capture that is not LF or ULF. To talk about and show examples of alternative print making but to tie your hands by limiting yourself to images captured with specific types of equipment makes absolutely no sense to me, from any perspective. Kind of like APUG mentality, in fact, which allows one to discuss alternative photography made with any type of film camera but won't allow anything about digital work flow. Or even more absurd, allows straight scans of digital files to be posted to the gallery section, but prohibits scans of wet processed prints of any kind if any digital work flow was involved.

That is my opinion and you are free to come down where you will. But ultimately I feel that these kind of exclusions and blind application of rules of category, especially when they are made by people with rather limited knowledge of the background and history of alternative printing, divide us and limit the potential of the forum.

Sandy King

Don Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Actually I don't recall that the issue has ever been discussed with regard to alternative print making. My view is that specifically with regard to alternative print making we are always contact printing with a same size negative, usually large format, regardless of the type or size of the original image capture.

If the restrictive view is that alternative printing only be discussed from the perspective of LF cameras then I would suggest that any discussions of alternative print making be confined to the lounge since a very high percentage of the best work being done today is with digital negatives made from original capture that is not LF or ULF. To talk about and show examples of alternative print making but to tie your hands by limiting yourself to images captured with specific types of equipment makes absolutely no sense to me, from any perspective. Kind of like APUG mentality, in fact, which allows one to discuss alternative photography made with any type of film camera but won't allow anything about digital work flow. Or even more absurd, allows straight scans of digital files to be posted to the gallery section, but prohibits scans of wet processed prints of any kind if any digital work flow was involved.

That is my opinion and you are free to come down where you will. But ultimately I feel that these kind of exclusions and blind application of rules of category, especially when they are made by people with rather limited knowledge of the background and history of alternative printing, divide us and limit the potential of the forum.

Sandy King
    There are three different combinations--

1)Large format in-camera negative and use of same negative for an Alt-process print.
    2)Large format in-camera negative, and conversion to digital negative for Alt-process print
    3)Digitial camera capture and use of digital negative for Alt-process print
    3a) Scan of exisitng image of any type and use of digital negative for Alt-process print.

Clearly #1 is OK in this forum
    According to what was just mentioned, this forum clearly does not want 3/3a.

But what about #2? There are two cases where this might have validity for posting in this forum -- first, the large format camera owner has only a small negative - say 4x5 or 2x3, and wants to make a larger image. Second, someone may have some older negatives that were developed for silver enlargement with densities that make them suboptimal for alt-processes..... Clearly for both of these, #2 is a recovery means. Are these also forbidden like in APUG?

Although I'm a ULF and 8x10 negative user, I would like to see work that is generated by 1,2 and even 3/3a.

And 3a clearly covers the case where a person made an aluminotype using LF, and decided to create a digital negative for additional alt-processes...

Quote Originally Posted by Don7x17 View Post
    There are three different combinations--

1)Large format in-camera negative and use of same negative for an Alt-process print.
    2)Large format in-camera negative, and conversion to digital negative for Alt-process print
    3)Digitial camera capture and use of digital negative for Alt-process print
    3a) Scan of exisitng image of any type and use of digital negative for Alt-process print.

You did not come close to listing all of the different combinations. What about MF film shot on roll film backs attached to digital cameras? Or what about digital capture with cameras or backs attached to LF cameras.

All of these combinations have validity to me if the discussion is about equipment. But if the discussion is about alternative printmaking my view is that any and all combinations are interesting should be open, and the discussion should be about creative printmaking, not what category our negatives fit inito.

What a shame. This was an interesting thread with many fine examples of alternative print making, including some by me and others that did not start life with a LF camera. Now that is devolved to what is essentially a useless discussion about rules.

Thanks, but no thanks. I will leave this one to the bean counters.

Sandy King

Don Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    You did not come close to listing all of the different combinations. What about MF film shot on roll film backs attached to digital cameras? Or what about digital capture with cameras or backs attached to LF cameras.

All of these combinations have validity to me if the discussion is about equipment. But if the discussion is about alternative printmaking my view is that any and all combinations are interesting should be open, and the discussion should be about creative printmaking, not what category our negatives fit inito.

What a shame. This was an interesting thread with many fine examples of alternative print making, including some by me and others that did not start life with a LF camera. Now that is devolved to what is essentially a useless discussion about rules.

Thanks, but no more. I will leave this one to the bean counters.

Sandy King
    Good addiitons.

Maybe its time for an alt photography image only site? Where equipment is secondary to the image?

Quote Originally Posted by Don7x17 View Post
    Good addiitons.

Maybe its time for an alt photography image only site? Where equipment is secondary to the image?
    Good point. There is really no good discussion site that is open to all aspects of alternative printmaking. At APUG you have restrictions on digital, but any camera system goes. Here the discussion is limited to camera system, and digital is ok in certain circumstances, say when if it is combined with a LF camera.

The hubrid forum comes to mind but I bet that if someone went over there and posted an image of a beautiful pt/pd print made with an in-camera ULF negative somebody would bitch that there was no digital involved in the work flow.

Sandy King

I spent a better part of the weekend doing some platinum/palladium printing and then some layers of cyanotype over them...

Hwy 290/71 - Austin, TX
    12x20 cyanotype over pt/pd

Hwy 290/71 - Austin, TX
    12x20 cyanotype over pt/pd