Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can dvd's be erased

Preston Birdwell

Re: can dvd's be erased

I agree with Joanna. Grab a Cat-5e Crossover cable and then set up a peer-to-peer network with simple file sharing. This assumes, of course that both machines have NICs.

-Preston
    Last edited by Preston; 15-Mar-2009 at 21:01. Reason: typo
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Sorry it took me so long to comment, I just noticed.. Joanna and Preston,, thank you for responding, I'll have to get with a computer guy to know what exactly you are talking about... I didn't know you could hook a Mac and a PC together but as long as they behave I guess it would be ok... I mean I hope I'm not reminded of the poorly made B-movie with Rosie Greer, the two headed transplant.. gave me nightmares

Hi Steve

If both your Mac and Windows machines can see the internet through the same router/ADSL modem, then you are good to go, because they are both connected to the same network. If not, simply ensure that there is a network cable plugged into both computers.

It is easier to access a Windows machine from a Mac, as Windows has much more difficulty finding networks, especially non-Windows ones

Once you have a connection, you need to find a folder in Windows that you want to use to share stuff to/from. Right-clicking on the folder in explorer show you a context menu which has a choice for sharing/security. You need to use this dialog to allow sharing of the folder.

Now that the folder is shared, use Finder on the Mac to view the network and you shold see your Windows computer. Double-clicking on the computer should bring up a prompt to login to the Windows machine - use the same user name and password as if you were using the Windows machine.

If all has gone according to plan, you should now be able to see any files and folders, that are in the shared folder on the Windows machine, on your Mac. Simply drag and drop files to/from one machine to the other in Finder.

Steve, if you have iChat on your Mac, then I can do a screen share from here and guide you through.

Joanna,, first i'll have to get a blue tooth for the Mac and get it hooked up . My original idea was to keep the Mac off the internet but I might change my mind .. I realize Mac doesn't need a virus program that puts crap all over my HD I just didn't want it hooked up,,, thats why I use and abuse the PC and I figure I'll have to use the other when the PC craps out..

thank you for the response
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    Joanna,, first i'll have to get a blue tooth for the Mac and get it hooked up.
    No, Steve. You don't need to get a Bluetooth, just a piece of ordinary network cable.

My original idea was to keep the Mac off the internet but I might change my mind .. I realize Mac doesn't need a virus program that puts crap all over my HD I just didn't want it hooked up,,, thats why I use and abuse the PC and I figure I'll have to use the other when the PC craps out..
    That's the whole wrong way around

I use a Macbook Pro but have to use Windows for my software consulting work. So, I have Windows XP installed as a virtual machine "within" the Mac. This means that Windows is never connected to the internet. All my internet work, downloading files, browsing, etc, is done with Firefox, Thunderbird and other Mac software on the Mac. I then use the VM software to transfer files to/from the Windows side of things. So Windows doesn't need any anti-virus or anything like it.

Send me a PM with your contact details and I will get in touch offline.

Joanna,, first i'll have to get a blue tooth for the Mac and get it hooked up . My original idea was to keep the Mac off the internet but I might change my mind .. I realize Mac doesn't need a virus program that puts crap all over my HD I just didn't want it hooked up,,, thats why I use and abuse the PC and I figure I'll have to use the other when the PC craps out..

thank you for the response
    Steve
    Apple's official stance is currently that users should be using antivirus software. This is on the public record

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    Apple's official stance is currently that users should be using antivirus software. This is on the public record
    It's my understanding that Mac won't let anything on the HD without a password ..which in the big picture is what a virus scan does?

It's my understanding that Mac won't let anything on the HD without a password ..
    If you run software and your computer is connected to the internet, it's potentially vulnerable no matter what OS you're running.

That said, most virus infections on computers use the one vulnerability that no OS vendor can protect the computer from: its user.

Hence the recommendation for virus protection software -- enough users don't know enough to protect their own machines to make viruses a danger, and now that OSX is gaining significant market share, it's also becoming a more appealing target for hackers and malware.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    There was a news article recently about this but it tuned out to be a mistaken re-hash of old advice that is no longer deemed to be necessary, simply advisable; and that is only to cover Apples's legal back.

If you rrealised jut how OS X is built, you would not worry about viruses in the same way that you have to with Windows.