Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: matte Ink & Photo Black--Epson 3800 problem

Re: matte Ink & Photo Black--Epson 3800 problem

Guys,

Again, see post #5. The reason for this is actually very simple. I just double checked my notes and my setup on the computer that runs my 3800, 2200, and 9600. You have to go into your contro panel and make a choice on your "printing preferences." While it isn't the smartest move Epson has made, it is easy to work around this. Just make sure if you are switching inks, to also switch you printer preferences. I never understood this because both my 2200 and 9600 are both setup with photo black inks and I never had to change the preferences because it made no difference. With the 3800 it's different. If you want to stop wasting ink, make sure you change your printing preferences under that printer. Jim

Jim,

It is just not that simple. The point is that even if you have the preferences selected the 3800 will do a change form MK to PK "without" warning if you happen to do everything right but select a paper that is not compatible with the ink preference, or even choose a feeder that has a different preference.

What I would like would be a simple warning that says, "Printer about to change form PK to MK. If ok, select below. To abort check here." Given the fact that this ink change takes a long time, and costs a fair amount of money, there should be a warning like this but there is not.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Guys,

Again, see post #5. The reason for this is actually very simple. I just double checked my notes and my setup on the computer that runs my 3800, 2200, and 9600. You have to go into your contro panel and make a choice on your "printing preferences." While it isn't the smartest move Epson has made, it is easy to work around this. Just make sure if you are switching inks, to also switch you printer preferences. I never understood this because both my 2200 and 9600 are both setup with photo black inks and I never had to change the preferences because it made no difference. With the 3800 it's different. If you want to stop wasting ink, make sure you change your printing preferences under that printer. Jim

Sandy,

Ever since I've changed my preferences according to the paper I'm using, I've not had any problem. (I had called Epson and complained about the exact problem here and that's where this info comes from.) It works for me and I no longer get surprised by the inks changing on me. Jim

Jim,

OK, I only want to use PK with my printer. How do I change my preferences so that the printer will only print with PK ink, and if I make a mistake somewhere along the line with paper feeder or paper type, the printer will warn me that a change is upcoming so that I can avoid it.

I have looked everywhere for a way to do this and have not found it. If you can give me specific directions I would be most appreciative.

Having owned this printer for about a year I basically know how to avoid the ink change PK>MK or MK>PK, but every now and then I make a mistake in page setup or paper type and it makes the change on it, with no warning.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Sandy,

Ever since I've changed my preferences according to the paper I'm using, I've not had any problem. (I had called Epson and complained about the exact problem here and that's where this info comes from.) It works for me and I no longer get surprised by the inks changing on me. Jim

It sounds like Jim is only using one paper. So his solution works for him. But for people who want to to print on both matte and glossy papers there is still a problem.

I don't know but I have not been able to locate any preference box that sets the ink. When you print with MAC and CS3 you have a print box where you can set and save print presets. For this you go to the print setting box and choose the type of paper you want. Certain papers are for PK, others for MK. If you set up a preset with a paper type that is meant for MK ink the printer will change from PK to MK if it is currently set for PM when you hit the final print selection. And vice-versa.

Perhaps PC users have different controls.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    It sounds like Jim is only using one paper. So his solution works for him. But for people who want to to print on both matte and glossy papers there is still a problem.

I'm looking at getting a 3800 in the next month or so........the best info I've been able to find regarding inks, profiles, drivers, etc is from Eric Chan's site. He also works for Adobe.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan...800/index.html
    "There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton

Sandy, I was just going over the latest Epson printer features because, well, I'm a huge geek, and I noticed this bit:

"...And to further reduce switching errors, the user confirms the switching process from the front control panel..." in reference to black pigment (PK/MK) switching.

So, hopefully, they will step up and grandfather a software version of this into a future driver update for existing models! Oh well.

Cheers,.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post
    WHY WOULD EPSON DO THAT.... People would save tons of ink that way. Have you figured out how much that stuff is a gallon? Makes gas seem cheap.

I used have my high school students print with only matte surface papers, but I am switching to a lustre surface because I will save on ink changes.
    Because every time one does this, EPSON MAKES MONEY!!! And, THEY LIKE THAT!!! This is the most shameless and shady aspect of their business in my view.

Another question: WHY CAN'T WE SELECTIVELY CLEAN ONE COLOR? Because, Epson wouldn't make as much money. Plus, they've been ruthless in driving out 3rd party ink suppliers.

As another example, Epson has a fluid that can be used to help clean heads. But, will they sell it to their peon customers? Not on your life! A repairman in Portland told me that Epson has strict rules against this. I think that Epson LIKES clogs. THEY MAKE MORE MONEY. If they've produced printers that clog less, I think that it's only because they fear their customers would switch brands, if they didn't.

Users have learned that, if one squirts a little Windex on the print head resting pad, it much reduces clogging. But because of the ammonia in Windex, there may be some question as to whether this is in the best long-term interest of the printer. Do you think they would market a fluid that would have the same effect without harming the printer? Well, it sure ain't on the counters!

I am the total cynic, when it comes to Epson's practices in this regard.