Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Solar eclipse on August 21 - photography ideas?

Re: Solar eclipse on August 21 - photography ideas?

Viewed somewhere in the North Pacific Ocean.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

How did it go cp_photo? Where did you end up?

Capturing the eclipse was going to be difficult enough with a digital camera due to the huge dynamic range. I left my film view camera at home. Drove up 650 miles from South SF Bay Area up to Salem Oregon where totality was 118 seconds. Set up my Canon R700 1080p camcorder on just on the large crowd at Riverfront Park a tent city I was in to get a 4 minute or so video of before till after totality with all the emotional crowd reactions, yelling, screaming, and whooping. That is what I will value into the future for the sake of my personal memories of the phenomenon as a one time event during my lifetime. Incredible beyond words.

I did take a token single image with my A6000 and SEL55210 zoomed max near the end of totality per downsized image below as the diamond ring re-appeared. Full image size is 3500 by 4600 pixels. I didn't want to be monkeying around with my camera during totality as every second of that brief experience was precious gold to be viewed with my eyes and immersed in by all my senses. Lucked out with the exposure after quickly reducing Exposure Compensation from -1 I had been using before totality to shoot the crowd to -3, a crude guess. Brightest areas are a bit clipped but then without setting up an HDR sequence it is a compromise at best. The full image does show a couple stars.

David
    http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Tri...onicles-0.html

David,

How was the traffic coming back? A friend of ours left immediately after and it took 'til 3am to get back to SF.

I stayed local and drove to where there was a pocket of blue in the fog. Looked for interesting shadows of a tree, which I knew would be interesting. But having seen so many of "those" tree shadow pictures since the eclipse, I think I blew my chance. It would have been more interesting to do a still life with a colander.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    David, How was the traffic coming back? A friend of ours left immediately after and it took 'til 3am to get back to SF.
    Left Salem about a half hour after the eclipse at 11am driving south down US99W instead of I5 that I expected was what the majority of visitors going south would use. Anyone planning to leave immediately but not having a back roads escape plan did not do their homework. US99W was sluggish at choke points in a couple towns for about 60 miles, after that there was little traffic as I turned west on route 36 over the Coastal Range and then south down US101. Longer but without the annoying stop and go traffic on I5 and I stopped a few times along the way. By midnight I was north of Willits spending a few hours catching some sleep lest I fall asleep while driving before continuing on at dawn reaching home by 9:30am.

Unfortunately, due to practical considerations I did not manage to visit Oregon so I missed out on the most dramatic events of the day.
    I did go up on the roof of my apartment building, took some 35mm photos, and generally just took in the coolness of the event although there wasn't much visible here.
    It did darken to a considerable extent, and there was a change in the light. I don't really have words to describe it. Kind of like a polarizing/pink effect for 15 minutes or so.
    Thankfully many well equipped people documented this event!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    Just brilliant Sandy!
    David,

Thank you for your more than generous comment!

The experience itself was beyond description and I feel highly privileged to have had the opportunity. The sky was clear throughout the eclipse, and the moment of totality literally took my breath away. I thought I knew what to expect, but the uniqueness of total solar eclipse, which lasted for about two minutes and thirty seconds, had a primeval beauty I could not have imagined.

Finally, though I was able to anticipate, and prepare for, the interesting elliptical reflections, their duration was so short I almost missed them. Of a total eclipse time of around three hours from start to finish, the actual reflections in the image I posted only lasted around 5-7 minutes before and after the period of totality.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    ... The sky was clear throughout the eclipse, and the moment of totality literally took my breath away. I thought I knew what to expect, ...
    Sandy
    Same here, I was completely surprised by what I saw in the sky. I don't think our bodies respond well to such a rapid change in the environment.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail