Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Center Filter & Extra Wide Filter Question

Center Filter & Extra Wide Filter Question

I'm using a Heliopan 3x center filter on a 90mm/f4.5 Nikkor for 5x7. Have any of you used a B&W extra wide filter with this combo? Was there any vignetting? I emailed B&H Photo and they said, "Its NOT recommended to add any filter over the Heliopan 82mm Center Filter." What do you folks think? Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Tony Jones

Re: Center Filter & Extra Wide Filter Question

I have used a warming filter on the back element of my 58mm Schneider lens and have acheived some nice shots with it- you could try that strategy. Tape works if you dont have back threads, I have used a 58-77mm step up ring to trap the filter against the back of that particular lens. SK Grimes makes custom solutions for doing that as well

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJones View Post
    I'm using a Heliopan 3x center filter on a 90mm/f4.5 Nikkor for 5x7. Have any of you used a B&W extra wide filter with this combo? Was there any vignetting? I emailed B&H Photo and they said, "Its NOT recommended to add any filter over the Heliopan 82mm Center Filter." What do you folks think? Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Tony Jones

I've used a filter in this type of combination, except with the Schneider IIIb center filter and an 82mm polarizer, on an 80mm XL lens. I didn't have any problems with it. But, I don't use it enough to have tried every different situation.

Usually these filters are designed with a larger front thread than the rear thread, precisely so you can use another filter with them. Whether that will cause vignetting depends on the front filter, the lens, the format, and the movements you are using. With a 90mm on 5x7" and a center filter, it's going to be a close call--best just to test it.

You shouldn't use a filter between the lens and the center filter, though, or you may get vignetting from the stacked filters and banding, because the center filter isn't the right distance from the lens.

I've sometimes used 4" gel or polyester filters over the center filter.

Rob, is the front filter thread of the Schneider IIIb not 86mm? I sure hope so because I just ordered this CF and a Heliopan Slim Mount SH-PMC polarizer to go on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by JPlomley View Post
    Rob, is the front filter thread of the Schneider IIIb not 86mm? I sure hope so because I just ordered this CF and a Heliopan Slim Mount SH-PMC polarizer to go on the front.

Yes, I believe it is. I just mistyped 82.

I have a Lee adaptor ring which screws into the front of the CF, and a couple of resin filters; that combo works fine.

Ron, interesting. I was thinking of getting the Lee FK100 and 100-90 donut so I could just slip the holder right onto the CF so I can get the ND's as close as possible. This may be a bit extreme on a 75mm, but I think it will be crucial for my 55mm APO Grandagon.

Eric, great idea on the rear filter. I think I would have to ship my 55mm off to S.K. Grimes. Since the polarizer is not a warm tone, I was thinking of putting an 81B on the rear cell. AFAICT there is no rear thread on this optic. Sounds like Schneider got it right on the 58 XL.

I'm planning on using the filter for protection from sea spray and such, in addition to filtration, so placing it over the rear element isn't an option and a filter holder would have an opening at the side of the filter. Using a filter on the rear element is an excellent idea for adding additional filtration though. I'll have to take a look at what Mr. Grimes has available. The Center Filter I'm using has an 82mm thread stepped up to 105mm outer and the B&W Extra Wide Filter I'm planning on buying has a 105mm thread stepped up to 122mm outer. It looks like I'll be taking the plunge ($220 worth) to find out for sure. I'll post when I know how well it works. Thanks for the feedback!

Not sure if this feedback is useful or not, but I get vignetting when I add a slim mount Heliopan Polarizer to a CF mounted on my 55mm APO Grandagon. I am quite surprised by this actually, as the filter is only 3mm thick. So I have no idea how to get this puppy polarized? I might sell the 55 and get a 47XL...the larger image circle might resolve the problem.