Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding displaying photographs

Drew Wiley

Re: Question regarding displaying photographs

Those bugs would be basic Corrodentia (booklice). They eat cellulose, and sometimes
    seem to like bit of old mucilage glue, which was once used to mount prints to cardboard. They're torture to old bookbindings, and sometimes sneak behind glazing and force one to take the frame apart and clean things, but otherwise aren't the same
    degree of enemy to photographers as they are to librarians. They don't eat much anyway. Carpenter ants are a completely different thing, however, if they ever get to
    books or boxes left forgotten in some attic. My biggest problem of late was two old
    arthritic male cats we had taken indoors until they passed away. They didn't like each
    other and started spraying, and got my big flat file cabinets pretty good. Besides the
    stink and the rug shampooing, some of the wood finish got messed. Fortunately, none
    of their sacrilege reached any mounted prints. And yes, they both died or natural
    causes, though I cannot comment on how I was tempted to ....

Lots of new information here on this thread. Thank you everyone.

Although, most points are made based on environmental conditions, I wonder if anyone makes decisions based on aesthetics. As that was my original concern. For example, does anyone feel that glass or even acrylic detracts from their paper's surface apperance whether Matt or Glossy?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I used to get those bugs in my print boxes and portfolio cases. They seemed to like the 100% rag museum board I used for mats a long time ago. When I switched to buffered board I stopped seeing them.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    For example, does anyone feel that glass or even acrylic detracts from their paper's surface apperance whether Matt or Glossy?
    Glass makes prints look glossy, no matter what the surface is like. I'm fine with this.

If you use paper whose surface characteristics are especially important to you, then glazing could be a problem. I loved the satiny surface of the old version of Agfa Portriga ... discontinued sometime in the 80s. It seemed like a shame when that went behind glass. I haven't cared that much about the surface texture of any papers I've used since then, whether silver papers or inkjet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    Although, most points are made based on environmental conditions, I wonder if anyone makes decisions based on aesthetics. As that was my original concern. For example, does anyone feel that glass or even acrylic detracts from their paper's surface apperance whether Matt or Glossy?
    Aesthetically, clear (or museum, if you can afford it) glass – all other things being equal. But, they are not (see my brief discussion). I use clear acrylic on both mat and glossy, unreservedly.

Drew Wiley

Esthetically, it can get involved too. For example, there's nothing like a static-mounted high-gloss Cibachrome if someone wants a reversible mounting system and
    no orange-peel. But acrylic gravitates toward its own static charge and tend to pull
    the polyester film base away from its own plastic backing. So one uses glass on top,
    but since this has annoying secondary reflections, the obvious answer is optically
    coated glass - then we're back to square one whether or not this is suitable for the
    specific display environment or for shipping and handling. Museum glass it thicker
    but very heavy and with a yellowish UV layer in the middle of the sandwich, and I
    don't like what it does to blues. Optically coated acrylic (not textured non-glare
    plastic) is wonderful but now over $500 wholesale for a relatively small sheet. Over
    the years I've developed a couple of very nice options for large glossy prints which
    eliminate glare, but these are very tricky and expensive themselves. Another trick
    is to use matte base for C-prints or inkjets, then make it look more glossy or liquid
    with the acrylic or glass overglazing - but this is only appropriate for certain subjects. With glossy FB b&w prints, secondary reflections are almost never a problem, so I simply use ordinary 1/8" acrylic. In short, one shoe just doesn't fit
    everyone or every circumstance.

In all honesty, my preference is to trim prints to the edge of the image, dry mount onto a white board, and just displayed that way, without mat or frame. But then, I'm a barbarian...

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    In all honesty, my preference is to trim prints to the edge of the image, dry mount onto a white board, and just displayed that way, without mat or frame. But then, I'm a barbarian...

Mike
    Actually that makes you trendy.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Actually that makes you trendy.
    Cheap is trendy? Rats -- now I have to waste time finding and even less expensive, un-trendy way. Directly stuck to the walls with bubble gum, perhaps.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    Cheap is trendy? Rats -- now I have to waste time finding and even less expensive, un-trendy way. Directly stuck to the walls with bubble gum, perhaps.

Mike
    Thumb tacks!

But sorry, those are trendy too. At least they were several years ago. Maybe gum is the future.