Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Update to Epson scanning article: how to bypass all tonal adjustments

Update to Epson scanning article: how to bypass all tonal adjustments

You might find this update helpful: How to Bypass All Tonal Adjustments.

It shows how to get an image directly from an Epson scanner with no tonal adjustments, using the MacOS and Windows generic drivers as well as Epson Scan software.

If anyone knows how to do this with VueScan (or would like to share any other helpful suggestions or corrections), please let me know so that the article will be more complete and informative.

Thanks !

Re: Update to Epson scanning article: how to bypass all tonal adjustments

Ken,

Is that scanning as a negative?, my version of Epson scan, doesn't actually work like that for negative. My version is the latest that for the 4990, so a bit old...

You can do the same in vuescan just by choosing the following:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-01-06 16-22-46.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	173373

Keep in mind this will have sRGB gamma applied, so not strictly correct that no changes have been applied.

or you can just choose raw in viewscan which will give you a gamma of 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    Ken,

Is that scanning a negative?, my version of Epson scan, doesn't actually work like that for negative. My version is the latest that for the 4990, so a bit old...

You can do the same in vuescan just by choosing the following:

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-01-06 16-22-46.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	173373

Keep in mind this will have sRGB gamma applied.

or you can just choose raw in viewscan which will give you a gamma of 1.
    In the article, in the section where I deal with VueScan settings, I show that the default settings result in some clipping: I recommend other settings to circumvent the problem.

I am using an Epson V700 and it's been a while since I've updated my copy of VueScan.

Some people prefer to get nothing more than a "raw" scan from the scanner and perform all adjustments in Photoshop, Lightroom, etc. To date, no one has ever shared with me a method to get that unaltered scan using VueScan. I added this new section to the article after a reader contacted me with information about the MacOS Image Capture application. I did a little digging and found the corresponding Windows feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    In the article, in the section where I deal with VueScan settings, I show that the default settings result in some clipping: I recommend other settings to circumvent the problem.
    I am pretty sure none of those setting in the current version would do what you want.

The setting I gave should result in no additional changes, other than sRGB gamma being applied, but I don't bother in any case and just scan it as raw file.

When you have it right the graph should look like this:

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-01-06 17-02-35.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	173374

To get a raw scan in vuescan just click, the raw scan option:

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-01-06 17-18-32.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	173379

This will NOT have any gamma corrections applied. Vuescan also gives the option to adjust the CCD exposure time manually.

Anyway I hope that helps

The VueScan raw file is an output file type, like JPG, PNG, etc. It is a TIFF embedded in a file, with some additional header information, if I understand correctly. In that sense it is like the raw files we get from digital cameras: no compression.

Vuescan automatically adjusts image brightness as we crop. We can't bypass that. Note that the settings on the left-hand side remain unchanged as we crop.

Here our crop includes a lot of white background: VueScan has darkened the scan to accommodate the high average tone.

Here our crop includes mostly middle grays: VueScan has lightened the scan accordingly.

With the Epson drivers, cropping the image also creates tonal adjustments... but we can dispose of them if we like. We can't do that with VueScan.

With the generic drivers provided by Microsoft and Apple, no matter how we crop the image, the resulting scan is the same. Adjustments are not applied.

The VueScan raw file is an output file type, like JPG, PNG, etc. It is a TIFF embedded in a file, with some additional header information, if I understand correctly. In that sense it is like the raw files we get from digital cameras: no compression.
    You don't understand correctly. But I can't say I blame you... Vuescan is not the most accessible program in any case..

I hope you don't take that the wrong way. Your site is very inspirational!

You might find this update helpful: How to Bypass All Tonal Adjustments.

It shows how to get an image directly from an Epson scanner with no tonal adjustments, using the MacOS and Windows generic drivers as well as Epson Scan software.

If anyone knows how to do this with VueScan (or would like to share any other helpful suggestions or corrections), please let me know so that the article will be more complete and informative.

Thanks !
    How does the Epson Scan deal with Gamma with these settings. Does it still encode in gamma 2.2 or is there a way to force it to give a true Linear scan with a Gamma of 1.0

To produce a Linear Scan with VueScan to be used with something like ColorPerfect (ColorNeg) we can use these settings

Name:	input.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	173396 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crop.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	173397 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	color.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	173398 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	output.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	173395

I am using an Epson V700 and it's been a while since I've updated my copy of VueScan.
    Some people prefer to get nothing more than a "raw" scan from the scanner and perform all adjustments in Photoshop, Lightroom, etc. To date, no one has ever shared with me a method to get that unaltered scan using VueScan.
    Why not use EpsonScan rather than VueScan.

EpsonScan came with my V750. I'm sure it also came with your V700.

For a plain-vanilla scan, you don't need any of the fancy VueScan features, so why use it?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Vuescan automatically adjusts image brightness as we crop. We can't bypass that. Note that the settings on the left-hand side remain unchanged as we crop.
    Ken, In VueScan, doesn't Crop Buffer % value determine how VueScan adjusts the brightness

The VueScan raw file is an output file type, like JPG, PNG, etc.
    It is a TIFF embedded in a file, with some additional header information, if I understand correctly.
    Sorry, Ken,

But that's not possible.

JPG et al are compression formats.

Even if you choose "lossless compression", you still get pixel mangling.

TIFF is a direct element-to-pixel dump of the sensor's raw data. If you do a TIFF from a scanner or sensor, the file size is the same as the sensor pixel count plus minor overhead.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.