Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got strange artifacts testing Fujinon NW 125mm f/5.6

Andrew Pogrebennyk

Got strange artifacts testing Fujinon NW 125mm f/5.6

I've been out in the mountains this weekend shooting LF with my Chamonix 45N-1 and newly acquired Fujinon NW 125mm f/5.6. It's the version that takes 52mm filters, has EBC coating and chrome speed setting ring. I have developed 5 sheets of film so far and two of them have an unpleasant artifact at the top of the frame which looks like a black ghost.

The lens has quite some white specks inside that appear around the edges of the front element, but they seem to be on the black paint inside and not really on the glass. I was not bothered with them until now. Those artifacts arise my suspicion and now I'm wondering if they could be coming from this or some other lens fault.

I didn't use the filters or hood of any kind, totally nothing that could obstruct field of view. Film was EFKE 25 and I've used the film from the same box in the past with good results. I did stand development in HP Combi-Plan using Rodinal 1+100. I don't think the atrifacts come from the development because other sheets from the batch came out OK; all of them were inserted properly and there was enough liquid in the tank to cover them. I'm not an experienced LF shooter but I've never had any issues with my Rodenstock APO-Sironar-N 210mm. Do you think I should return this lens to the seller?

Re: Got strange artifacts testing Fujinon NW 125mm f/5.6

random guess...sticking shutter blade as there's a white section next to the black section

Andrew Pogrebennyk

Quote Originally Posted by ruckusman View Post
    random guess...sticking shutter blade as there's a white section next to the black section
    Thank you for your comment. That seems very likely. However, I don't have an access to a repairshop.

It's not the white specks, a.k.a. "Schneideritis". There's some vignetting going on somewhere.

If you can try another lens that would help determine whether it's the camera or lens, a;though from the shape and size, I'd tend to agree with ruckusman.

Put the shutter on 1 second and look through the lens and see if there's something visible.

If it is the shutter and you can't repair it, your only options are to replace the shutter or sell the lens and get another.

Cheers, Steve

Octogenarian

The white specks (in this case, Fujiitis) are not the cause of the problem you are experiencing. The shutter blades appear to be sticking. Could be caused by dried up lube. Try exercising the shutter on all speeds.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you can attempt to repair it yourself.

Un-screw and remove both the front an rear lens elements. You will now be dealing only with the shutter.

Squirt quality lighter fluid (like Ronsonol, or Zippo)into the various openings on the side of the shutter, Operate the shutter on each shutter speed, Shake out the excess fluid and allow the shutter to dry out completely. Check to make sure that the shutter blades are no longer sticking. Re-install the lens elements and your problem should be solved.

If the shutter blades are broken, return to seller.

Before you do anything make sure it is that lens by rotating it 180° on the board and seeing if the bad part moves. If it does the problem can only be the lens. If it does not move there is no problem with the lens.

Andrew Pogrebennyk

Thanks eveybody for the hints.
    Bob, that's fair enough. However the problem is that it's not consistent and I will have to waste quite some film to check that. It could be that the problem appears only at certain shutter speeds but I don't remember what speeds I used for those shots. I used f/32 all the time and exposure times 2s-1/8s depending on the lighting conditions. I will try to figure out something in the evening by setting 1s or 1/2s and looking through the lens

Octogenarian

Marduk,

Remove the front and rear lens elements and set them aside.

That way, you will only be dealing with the shutter.

While looking through the shutter opening, either from the front or the back, you should be able to see a sticky shutter blade at the 1/2 or 1 sec. speed setting.

With the lenses in place, the problem may not as be as obvious.

Also, don't rule out that it could be some kind of accident with the Combiplan. Maybe a glimse of light entered through the filling hole at the top (even though it shouldn't). Also the efke film is quite sensitive and it could be something with the top holding clip of the Combi. Something like this is possible if some light got into the tank before pouring in the developer. (It couldn't get that effect at the end of development though, as by then there is really no light sensitivity left in the film and the developer is exhausted.)

For most of these kind of "happenings" the error is somewhere behind the groundglass , which is one of the reasons for making this forum so great. We've all done these mistakes.

//Björn

Looks very much like development imperfections. No lens problem. Greetings, Jan