Page 15 of 403 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Looking again - Gandolfi and Colin, these are wonderful images and great work.

Nate Potter, Harrington ME.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    We agree on the fact that we visit certain sites, and threads and categories at those sites, with certain expectations. From that perspective you should undestand the controversy and I would think agree with my position. This thread is called "Post Alternative Techniques" which to me suggests two concepts: 1) that it will be about alternative printing, not equipment, and 2)there will be discussions of modern methods of printmaking. With that in mind I joined the thread to look at the work of other alternative printmakers and to post some of my own images. I had no expectation at all of discussing equipment, and the first image I posted did not mention equipment. However, when I posted the IR images I thought it would be nice to mention how they had been made because there are very few sources of LF IR film around these days and I suspected that some might be interested in the technique.

The very last thing I expected was that someone would complain to the moderators that the image capture was with a digital point and shoot camera. Why would that be a problem to anyone? Is there someone out there with the misguided notion that it is easier to make carbon transfer prints if you start with a piece of film or with a digital MF back on a LF body than if you start with a smaller camera. If so, that person is plenty ignorant of what it takes to make high quality carbon transfer prints and all I can say is that I am glad that I don't think that way.

Anyway, I have said my peace on this. The moderators can address the issue or ignore it -- makes no difference to me at all at this time.

Sandy King

Sandy, I agree with you on this one also. I know what it takes to make a quality carbon transfer print. I have always thought we should share our ideas especially on alternative processes. Thanks for all of your help with my carbon transfer work.

Doug, I'll also have to agree with Sandy on getting a site up and my images in a gallery and do some write ups on my successes and failures. If it helps someone learn carbon transfer that is great. Let me know if I can help also.

Jim

deleted - picture didn't show

Many thanks Nate.

a pd-toned kallitype this time.

Colin, again a wonderful one. Plain wonderful. The way the trees are closing on the path... Wonderful...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Thanks Jiri!

16x20 platinum/palladium print.

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    . . . This forum's got some things going for it, but its just a bunch of guys with a shared interest. . . .
    Darr for one might question that.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Good point. There is really no good discussion site that is open to all aspects of alternative printmaking. At APUG you have restrictions on digital, but any camera system goes. Here the discussion is limited to camera system, and digital is ok in certain circumstances, say when if it is combined with a LF camera.

The hubrid forum comes to mind but I bet that if someone went over there and posted an image of a beautiful pt/pd print made with an in-camera ULF negative somebody would bitch that there was no digital involved in the work flow.

Sandy King
    There used to be a rec.photo alt process group in which a lot of great alt process printers participated. It was a very contentious group but also contained a lot of excellent discussions and information. That group got me started with gum printing. Is it no longer around?

Not to add more noise but I agree with your points about the rule in question as others also obviously do. So why not discuss it again as it applies to alt processes and possibly change it? I actually don't remember the rule being discussed in the first place but whenever it was being discussed I doubt that there was a lot of focus on how it would work with alt processes. I'm not sure putting things in the Lounge is a good solution. Some of us have blocked the Lounge from our unified view and I for one would hate to have to open it up again just to see the occasional alt process thread.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Darr for one might question that.
    Not meant to offend anyone, Brian.
    Peer review groups can be tricky places to have your passions revealed. Sometimes I think its good to not take it too seriously, is where I was going.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com