Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feisol tripod advice

Feisol tripod advice

Hello all! I am looking to replace my 4x5 tripod as my current one (3021 with 3047 head) was well great all around. But, it has been totally messed up by baggage handlers and it was a little heavy. I have been looking at the really big cameras website and can't decide on the CT 3442 or the CT 3471. The 3442 strong points are that it is really light like 2.3 pds.. It also has 28mm legs where the 3471 has 37mm legs but at the weight of 5.07 pds. That maybe a blessing though. I don't plan to buy the center column as the tripods have a hook under the center anyways. I am worried about the resonance of these, are there users out there? I am also not sure whether to order the CB 50D ball head or one of the PhotoClams (I don't know which one). I would appreciate any advice you guys and gals could give me. Thanks in advance!
    PBrooks

Re: Feisol tripod advice

Really need to know what formats you shoot or intend to shoot, what camera(s) you're using, and what/where you shoot.

But, the first thing I'd do is shoot Kerry an email or PM him with your shooting equipment and usage pattern and a list of your questions. My experiences dealing with him have all been very positive. He is a straight shooter ... even if he's understandably a little biased towards the gear he sells. But you should get some pretty good advice from him and can compare it to what you hear from others here.

I have a 3441 and just recently bought a 3472. Love them both.

I use the 3441 primarily with a 4x5 Gowland Pocket View ... a VERY light camera. It is perfect for that and, I would think, would be good for any normal 4x5 field camera. It's worked well with my 4x5 Speed Graphic and even a Whole Plate field camera in a pinch ... I don't recommend it for that ... but it worked fine. (Oh, and one note ... when I bought my 3441 the spiked feet were not available for that model ... that may have changed.)

The 3472 is substantially beefier and much sturdier. I use it with my Whole Plate and 8x10 wooden field camera and it is perfect for me ... light weight for its size and stability and very steady with the larger cameras.

As for the ballheads ... I have the very small, light CB-30 which works quite adequately with my Gowland ... it's a little small for the Speed Graphic ... but, it works. I have no experience with the CB 50 or the PhotoClams.

Jim in Sacramento

Thanks Jim I need this tripod for Speed, Crown and Technika. I will be using lenses up to 400mm Fuji T. I sent Kerry a PM on Apug, hopefully he will see it. There seems to be more of a difference between the 3442 and the 3471 than I first noticed other than the beefier legs of the 3471. Two complete different designs. I still don't know! Thanks for your comments though.

My decision (made just this summer) was for the CT-3371; which has the three section legs and the larger diameter tubing. I was not concerned about how small it would collapse and wanted to maximize strength and stiffness, and keep costs down. Accordingly, I also eschewed any center column. That omission makes setting the tripod up to the correct height a bit tricky, at least until you learn to judge correctly. I added the geared Manfrotto 410 Junior head, a relative splurge, but it provides amazing functionality.

I am very happy with the setup in comparison to my 30 year old all Bogen, all aluminum rig. One warning, much of the weight of the tripod is in the cast metal junction at the top of the legs, add the relatively heavy 410 head and my Canham 5x7 traditional, and you would not want to walk very far away from it if there was serious wind blowing.

Oh, and Kerry was great!

I got the 3371 a few months ago. Needed it for the 4x5 and wanted something not so heavy that I couldn't just use it for everything I shoot. I just hate extending leg tubes, by leaving the bottom sections extended about 6-8 inches, I can set up real quick by just sliding out the middle section. I have a 488 ball-head without the center section, and it works just fine for now.

Ditto on Kerry, great guy.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

Lachlan 717

Just a quick couple of points about
    mine:

•All rubber stops on the ends of the legs have gone. Not a big issue, but they are not too secure.
    •2 of the legs have come off the unit when I have gone to unlock the legs. When I told
    Kerry about this, he was quick to send through a PDF on how to fix with superglue. I have to admit that I was disappointed with this, even though the fix was easy and Kerry was quick to get back to me. I also now have to carry a tube of superglue with me for fear the 3rd leg's glue gives way as well.

Overall, I really like the product, but feel that there could have been some quality
    control issues when I bought this 15 months ago.

Lachlan

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Just a quick couple of points about
    mine: ............................................
    Overall, I really like the product, but feel that there could have been some quality
    control issues when I bought this 15 months ago. Lachlan

Lachlan ... you didn't write which tripod you have ... I'm guessing it's the 3442. I've had my 3441 for 3 years ... since before Kerry got the US distributorship ... I have not had the leg problem you noted, but I did lose one of the rubber feet after about a year of use ... I contacted Kerry and he had 4 in my mailbox at no charge within a week ... I just put a spot of glue on each and they haven't budged.

The rubber feet on the 3472 are REALLY on there ... I can't imagine them coming off inadvertently.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    ... you didn't write which tripod you have ... I'm guessing it's the 3442.
    Jim,

Close, but no cigar. I'm overseas at the moment, so had to check which model I had by sorting through old emails.

I've got the 3342 model.

I got it in June last year, and my email says that I sent Kerry an email about the leg dropping off in August.

As I mentioned, in the end it was not a big issue, nor an overly inconvenient one. Super glue is easy to find and Kerry was super quick and helpful with his advice. Also, I should mention that the legs have been fine since I did this fix.

Lachlan.

PS,

I keep thinking about an old Peter Cook and Dudley Moore sketch about a 1-legged Tarzan actor. It had something to do with the Director having nothing against his good leg...

I, too lost a rubber stop on my 3342. Kerry also quickly sent me more. But they have to come off to install the spikes, so if glue them on....
    Eric

Chamonix 45N-1 (Sold!)
    Panasonic DMC-G1 & GF1

Just wanted to give ya'll a update and a praise to Kerry. I ordered the 3471 on the 19th and it just arrived on the 21st, super fast shipping and Kerry was super at answering all my questions as I knew he would be!