Thread: Major Problem With Epson 4990. Need Help!

Major Problem With Epson 4990. Need Help!

Hi guys,

So I recently moved into a new apartment and brought my Epson 4990 with me. I sat down to scan some film and found that the prescan was taking much longer than usual and when it was done, was a streaky, noisy mess that looked nothing like it should. I was scanning on a laptop that has a newer operating system than the one I typically used, but I updated the drivers, and even downloaded a trial version of VueScan to see if it was the software (I'm using SilverFast) and had no luck. I'm assuming it's not the scanning software now. I did forget to lock the scanner heads while I was transporting it, but it's not as if it was getting knocked around in the process. The only conclusion I can come to is that in the process of moving, something did happen to the scanner heads, but I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that. Also, I tried reflective scanning and that seems to be working fine oddly enough. Only scanning in transparent mode appears to be a problem. Maybe it's a problem with the connection between the two? I'm attaching an image of what the scanner was coming up with. Just for some technical info...My laptop is a MacBook Pro and currently has Snow Leopard, or Mac OS X 10.6.8 installed. The scanner is an Epson Perfection 4990 Photo scanner and the software I have been using is SilverFast 6.4.3. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	69706

Re: Major Problem With Epson 4990. Need Help!

Two changes...
    Do you still have the computer or access to the computer you originally used. Hook up the old system.
    Do you know if the AC current in the new apartment is up to spec and there are no brownouts in the building or other voltage drops.

Both are possible scenarios. I've worked on computers that wouldn't boot below a threshold level of AC current. Your AC adaptor should compensate, but.....

I looks like a calibration problem that probably has a simple answer. The most basic is that the insert was left in the lid of the scanner. Next would be not using a film holder or something covering part of the calibration gap. Confirm those and then let us know.

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com

Quote Originally Posted by b.cipolla View Post
    Hi guys,

So I recently moved into a new apartment and brought my Epson 4990 with me. I sat down to scan some film and found that the prescan was taking much longer than usual and when it was done, was a streaky, noisy mess that looked nothing like it should. I was scanning on a laptop that has a newer operating system than the one I typically used, but I updated the drivers, and even downloaded a trial version of VueScan to see if it was the software (I'm using SilverFast) and had no luck. I'm assuming it's not the scanning software now. I did forget to lock the scanner heads while I was transporting it, but it's not as if it was getting knocked around in the process. The only conclusion I can come to is that in the process of moving, something did happen to the scanner heads, but I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that. Also, I tried reflective scanning and that seems to be working fine oddly enough. Only scanning in transparent mode appears to be a problem. Maybe it's a problem with the connection between the two? I'm attaching an image of what the scanner was coming up with. Just for some technical info...My laptop is a MacBook Pro and currently has Snow Leopard, or Mac OS X 10.6.8 installed. The scanner is an Epson Perfection 4990 Photo scanner and the software I have been using is SilverFast 6.4.3. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	69706

I'm getting the same problem. Did you every fix this?

No one??? : (

I can't fix or really help. But I noticed my V700 was not always happy switching back and forth from neg to prints, so I now leave it set for negs and use another older scanner for prints.

My old Canon, a nice little scanner has also developed problems and it now only does 5x7 prints. Vue Scan saved it from the heap.

I am actually surprised these things work at all, or for very long. Consumer grade...

Quote Originally Posted by trundrumbalind View Post
    No one??? : (

You should start a new thread and show examples, tell what settings you use. Although you may think it's the exact same thing it may be something else entirely. Then again the suggestion that it's a calibration problem may have solved it.

Peter

Are you using usb or firewire? I've had trouble with peripherals using usb if it's plugged into a bus. Removing the bus from the equation might help. And for me, just plugging the usb into a different receptacle on the bus solved the problem (not with an Epson scanner though). Also try a new cord if you haven't already.

Oh no, you will not believe my stupidity. I had the document mat inserted into the scanner.
    I had the exact same results as the picture above, that's it.
    I will leave this place now.
    Sorry.
    Duh.