Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinar Shutter on Field Camera

Re: Sinar Shutter on Field Camera

www.skgrimes.com/fits/index.htm is a great resource to see what lens fits what shutter info.

C

wfwhitaker

Quote Originally Posted by Carioca View Post
    Will,
    what kind of lens would you wish to shutter mount, and what is the format of your field camera?

Sidney
    Sidney,

I want to be able to use any of a number of older lenses mounted in barrels. I'm not looking to mount one lens into a shutter. I merely am looking for something a little more sophisticated than a Packard, although the Packard is hard to beat for my application. The camera format is 7x11 inches.

~Will

Will,I adapted the Sinar shutter to my Calumet 8x10 (C-10) and made my own wooden lensboards for the barrel lenses. The shutter is very accurate. Vibration concerns, in my opinion, are not well founded. This shutter is a real pleasure to use after years with the Packard.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Will,I adapted the Sinar shutter to my Calumet 8x10 (C-10) and made my own wooden lensboards for the barrel lenses. The shutter is very accurate. Vibration concerns, in my opinion, are not well founded. This shutter is a real pleasure to use after years with the Packard.
    Merg,

This is an idea I have been toying with for a while, I think it would a a bit time consuming to get perfect out of the gate, but over the long term, a great solution once tweaked to perfection.

Was it fairly straight forward as projects go?

Ideally, to have the barrels mounted in a Tech V type boards, onto a home made adapter, using the Sinar shutter, or even a packard for those who wish to go that route, behind the adapter board sounds ideal.

Allen, make that a C-1 Calumet, I believe that is the correct nomenclature for the 8x10.

My inclination has been to modify my cameras with wood derived solutions first, and if that fails, seek a machine shop. This is probably because my first 8x10's were built of wood and easy to modify. Beauty never played a role in my solutions!. If you would like a pic of the Calumet/Sinar set-up, let me know.

Here was my solution to the Sinar Shutter. It is mounted on a Phillips 8x10 Compact II. I removed the aperture setting device and readout, shortened the lever to close the shutter and removed the sync jack. To attach the universal lens mount, I made a lens board that extended it away from the shutter about 1/2".

I got lucky with the shutter. I bought it from eBay at a time when there were a lot of people saying disparaging remarks about the vibration and drove the price down. I think I spent $200 and got 2 cable releases with it.

wfwhitaker

Merg and John, it's good to know that other folks have made the idea work. Having never even seen a Sinar shutter in the flesh, I found this reference at Cameraeccentric very helpful. I should have looked there sooner.

Thanks for posting that - Now I know where the filter holder is ! Duhhh

Shooting at wider apertures in full daylight can be a problem, because the Sinar shutter only goes up to 1/60. With a film like TMY at ISO 200, a neutral density filter is required, and I have had to hold it by hand up until now.

wfwhitaker

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Now I know where the filter holder is!

Yes, it was very thoughtful of Sinar to include a filter holder. 1/60 isn't fast, but it's a stop better than a Packard on a good day - and hopefully more reliable.

Heavens... If you leave the shutter on the camera all the time, that means you only need only one set of filters (with the exception of polarizers).