Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toyo field 810m

Re: Toyo field 810m

That is the lock assembly.

Kumar

Carpenter

I've been using the 810MII for 6 months and really enjoy using it. Very intuitive to use in the field and the fine rear focus is silky smooth. I do have one small gripe: I wish there were (2) tripod attachment holes at the bottom of the camera. When I've used the camera with the Gitzo PL5 (old version on the 1570) its hard to get the 3/8" screw tight enough so that the camera doesn't want to rotate. Given the PL5 is old and the cork is pretty hard at this point, but it made me look to other options. Namely, something that keeps the camera from twisting and is easy to mount and dismount.
    To back up just a little; an issue with most 8x10 cameras and 3-way heads w/o a quick release is that one needs to tip the head forward and balance the camera with one hand while trying to line up and tighten the attachment screw. This has always made me nervous especially with such an expensive camera.
    A while back I adapted a arca swiss style quick release to the top of the Toyo TPMII tripod head that I have. I found an arca style 100mm camera plate with a shoulder on one end (I think these are used for the foot on 35mm telephoto lenses). The one I found only had a slot for a 1/4-20 screw. I lined up the plate on the camera with the shoulder indexing the back of the camera base and marked the location of the mounting hole. Drilled out to 3/8" on the drill press with a secure fixture (drilling a hole through a slot is tough because the bit wants to catch the side of the slot), then mounted the plate w/ a stainless 3/8-16 rounded head hex screw. Super solid!
    I know that Ari had some info in a thread about using the Toyo branded anti twist plate to combat this same issue. I believe he came up with a home brewed solution as well. Ill post some pics in a bit of my setup.
    Long story short, I love the camera and figure that I'll stick with her for a while!

Bellows extensions is the same on both (mki and mk2) disregarding the addition the 2 cm front standard reversal possibilities of the mk2?
    I mean mk1 can also get up to 800mm ?

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
    I've been using the 810MII for 6 months and really enjoy using it. Very intuitive to use in the field and the fine rear focus is silky smooth. I do have one small gripe: I wish there were (2) tripod attachment holes at the bottom of the camera. When I've used the camera with the Gitzo PL5 (old version on the 1570) its hard to get the 3/8" screw tight enough so that the camera doesn't want to rotate. Given the PL5 is old and the cork is pretty hard at this point, but it made me look to other options. Namely, something that keeps the camera from twisting and is easy to mount and dismount.
    To back up just a little; an issue with most 8x10 cameras and 3-way heads w/o a quick release is that one needs to tip the head forward and balance the camera with one hand while trying to line up and tighten the attachment screw. This has always made me nervous especially with such an expensive camera.
    A while back I adapted a arca swiss style quick release to the top of the Toyo TPMII tripod head that I have. I found an arca style 100mm camera plate with a shoulder on one end (I think these are used for the foot on 35mm telephoto lenses). The one I found only had a slot for a 1/4-20 screw. I lined up the plate on the camera with the shoulder indexing the back of the camera base and marked the location of the mounting hole. Drilled out to 3/8" on the drill press with a secure fixture (drilling a hole through a slot is tough because the bit wants to catch the side of the slot), then mounted the plate w/ a stainless 3/8-16 rounded head hex screw. Super solid!
    I know that Ari had some info in a thread about using the Toyo branded anti twist plate to combat this same issue. I believe he came up with a home brewed solution as well. Ill post some pics in a bit of my setup.
    Long story short, I love the camera and figure that I'll stick with her for a while!
    There is a very simple solution for your camera "twisting issues" you are unfortunately experiencing.

I have a Manfrotto hex 3/8" next quick release plate on the base of my Toyo 810 and I found an easy way take this issue completely out of play.

All you have to do is 1) open up the bail back, 2) push the leading edge of the film holder in the opening that the bail lever arm creates a short inch or so, 3) reach to the opposite side of the GG back from the bail and with the fingers on your left hand reach for the reversed bevel on the edge of the left side of the GG and pull the GG open so there is gap wide enough for you to freely and without any contact put your holder into proper position and then left your left hand carefully drop the GG onto the holder and then drop the lever on the bail arm and you are ready to make your image. When you have finished your image you perform the reverse exercise. Open the bail arm and then pull the left side of the GG free of the film holder and the film holder comes out free and clear unobstructed. I believe that this bevel on the opposite side of the opening bail arm to the GG was designed for this purpose. I have been using this technique for 10 years now and it works like a champ. Aside from removing any hint of torque on the camera by needlessly pushing the holder in position you are concurrently ensuring that frictional issues to the camera back on the film holder with forced insertion are also taken out of play. My film holders like like new and I like it that way because the film holders you have are likely going to have to last a long time. Just saying.

You want to spend extra money for anti torque components for the Toyo 810M and ram the film holders home than have at it. I am just pointing out a sensible and cost effective alternative.

Carpenter

True and very good instruction for proper use of the bail back and holder insertion; it’s what I do every time I make a picture. I never said that’s when I have an issue.
    We both solved the problem by attaching a quick release to a the camera base; yours is a Manfrotto and mine is an Arca. My issue was with finger tightening a thumb screw into a heavy camera on top of an old Gitzo PL5. The finger tightening combined with the large platform and not-so-supple cork likely created a condition where the torque is spread over a larger surface area that’s not “grippy” anymore. So, while the camera wouldn’t move freely it would twist occasionally causeing me to look for a more solid solution. Now I can keep the tripod head flat and easily place the camera into position and lock it down. Might not be for everybody, but it works for me. Win, win!

Carpenter

...and I always hate seeing when guys just “slam” those film holders into place! Never made sense to me. Everything about the process is thoughtful and deliberate (for me) so I fail to understand why anyone would do that. I have the same reaction to seeing camera ads where you have a 70 year old beauty twisted into crazy positions. Those poor bellows! Like forcing and elderly woman into yoga poses. Just so unnecessary and borderline abusive!!!

...and I always hate seeing when guys just “slam” those film holders into place! Never made sense to me. Everything about the process is thoughtful and deliberate (for me) so I fail to understand why anyone would do that. I have the same reaction to seeing camera ads where you have a 70 year old beauty twisted into crazy positions. Those poor bellows! Like forcing and elderly woman into yoga poses. Just so unnecessary and borderline abusive!!!
    Absolutely agree. Most times there is a very minimalistic workable solution that allows form and function to coexist perfectly.

On my Ries A250 tripod head as well as on my Majestic tripod both of which are 6" square I glued cork auto gasket material onto the top of the metal surfaces and hand tightening as never let me down as it creates a great non slip surface on make up. The most important thing is to get out and use the equipment and become as highly proficient with it as possible.

I have two 810MII. Best designed back I've ever worked with. Holders glide in. Everything locks down tight. Nothing budges. I use it for field portraits. Silky smooth geared focusing. If you can find a clean one, or an 810M, just get it. I also have a 8x10 Sinar P2, and although a fantastic studio machine, I would never dream of hauling it outside.

...I'll add this: I also have a Deardorff V8 and an 8x10 Gandolfi Precision. They're also fantastic cameras and quite beautiful. But I'd always opt for the Toyo when shooting important projects in the field, hands down. Faster, smoother, sturdier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyman View Post
    I have two 810MII. Best designed back I've ever worked with. Holders glide in. Everything locks down tight. Nothing budges. I use it for field portraits. Silky smooth geared focusing. If you can find a clean one, or an 810M, just get it. I also have a 8x10 Sinar P2, and although a fantastic studio machine, I would never dream of hauling it outside.

Yup, I have a Linhof Quickfix II on my 810MII. A perfect combination.

True and very good instruction for proper use of the bail back and holder insertion; it’s what I do every time I make a picture. I never said that’s when I have an issue.
    We both solved the problem by attaching a quick release to a the camera base; yours is a Manfrotto and mine is an Arca. My issue was with finger tightening a thumb screw into a heavy camera on top of an old Gitzo PL5. The finger tightening combined with the large platform and not-so-supple cork likely created a condition where the torque is spread over a larger surface area that’s not “grippy” anymore. So, while the camera wouldn’t move freely it would twist occasionally causeing me to look for a more solid solution. Now I can keep the tripod head flat and easily place the camera into position and lock it down. Might not be for everybody, but it works for me. Win, win!