Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spacers of Sinaron W 90/4.5 DB mount, for the same lens in Copal#1 ?

Re: Spacers of Sinaron W 90/4.5 DB mount, for the same lens in Copal#1 ?

One more URL in addition to that provided by Pere above.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1015985

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Thalmees View Post
    Thanks Bob for your input.
    That's only true if you are talking about a new batch of lenses just departed the factory.
    Assuming that 50% of all new lenses made during a period of past time, distributed with shims, regardless of number of shims. And 50% did not need.
    By the current time, in used market, I do not think we will find 5-10% of the same batch of lenses having shims, for obvious reasons of handling, maintenance and just being easily missed plus scarce availability and knowledge about them.
    But hopefully, testing for the effect of shims on a particular lens that came without one, is not extremely difficult, of course not of lab precision but with reasonable accuracy.
    At the same time, if a lens needed a shim of certain thickness, it's near impossible to find it today.
    Thanks so much again Bob.
    Shims can be ordered from the factory via the service center or the Rodenstock distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Shims can be ordered from the factory via the service center or the Rodenstock distributor.
    Thanks so much Bob.
    Thats also true only, if you know the shim exact thickness, or type if the shims used to be known by type.
    I read about shims in order of 0.5mm, but when I measure the shims in a friend of mine lenses, it's from roughly 0.05 to 0.15mm(all lenses are short focal length lenses). I think the thickness is not the same with older long focal length lenses.
    The actual scenario in the current used market is, whether there is a missed shims or not? Then what's the appropriate shim thickness?
    Please let me know if Rodenstock still accept used lenses for calibration and testing, and how much that service may charge?
    Best Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalmees View Post
    Thanks so much Bob.
    Thats also true only, if you know the shim exact thickness, or type if the shims used to be known by type.
    I read about shims in order of 0.5mm, but when I measure the shims in a friend of mine lenses, it's from roughly 0.05 to 0.15mm(all lenses are short focal length lenses). I think the thickness is not the same with older long focal length lenses.
    The actual scenario in the current used market is, whether there is a missed shims or not? Then what's the appropriate shim thickness?
    Please let me know if Rodenstock still accept used lenses for calibration and testing, and how much that service may charge?
    Best Regards.
    Of course they will recalibrate lenses but you would have to check with them or the distributor in your country as to the cost. It is strongly suggested that your distributor handle shipping as an error in paper work can lead to very expensive VAT charges.

Not that it is necessarily concrete proof of whether spacers were used or not in the Sinaron W 90mm f/4.5 (I bought this lens used) but I just checked mine and it has no spacers installed in it.

-Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dunn View Post
    Not that it is necessarily concrete proof of whether spacers were used or not in the Sinaron W 90mm f/4.5 (I bought this lens used) but I just checked mine and it has no spacers installed in it.
    -Joshua
    Thank you so much Joshua for your confirmation.
    Yes it's used, but hopefully testing for whether is shims needed or not, is not impossibl.
    Regards.