Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lenses for 8x20

Foamer

Re: Lenses for 8x20

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    What you mean they're more now?!!!!!

Using an inflation calculator, the value of $295 in 1961 is equivalent to $2,500 today. So yes, they are a bargain NOW.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Confused.

Why would you need a separate set of lenses for vertical 8x20? The film plane does not change and I have never run out of coverage with the 355 G Claron in either orientation. This is because the hyperfocal distance of the 355 G Claron as an extreme wide angle on the 8x20 is very shallow requiring minor front tilt (horizontal) and swing (vertical). Ditto for the Fuji 600C.
    I am speaking from experience with my vertical 8x20, the subject matter being photographed and how I want it captured on film. I do occasionally use rear tilt on this camera if that is what it takes to create what I want. I have experienced it where the 355 G Claron will not cover the ground glass. So I use the 14” Dagor.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x20_Pano_Shooter View Post
    I am speaking from experience with my vertical 8x20, the subject matter being photographed and how I want it captured on film. I do occasionally use rear tilt on this camera if that is what it takes to create what I want. I have experienced it where the 355 G Claron will not cover the ground glass. So I use the 14” Dagor.
    Pulled out the 8x20 and swung it to vertical and with the 355 G Claron and as long as I manage the bellows sag I can't get a landscape scene to go limit out with coverage adhering to conventional "movements as necessary" landscape photography image making. Macro shots only improve my coverage. Pleased that I could sell my 14" Dagor a number of years ago. To each their own.......

Still have mine as well as the G-C. My 14" Dagor is MC in Compur, so coverage is not as generous as the old ones. L

Perhaps the differences in your experiences wrt the 355mm G-Claron is due to the differences between some GC lenses - Dagor vs. Plasmat specifically, as I mentioned earlier regarding my 305mm version. Just a thought. Not sure if there was that difference on the 355mm.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Perhaps the differences in your experiences wrt the 355mm G-Claron is due to the differences between some GC lenses - Dagor vs. Plasmat specifically, as I mentioned earlier regarding my 305mm version. Just a thought. Not sure if there was that difference on the 355mm.
    I have three recent 355 G Claron's in Copal 3 shutters for my ULF cameras (11x14, 12x20 and 8x20) that all perform similarly in terms of coverage, sharpness and contrast - all top drawer hence the multiples. There are some earlier Dagor designs of other G Claron lenses (210mm and 305mm to name a couple) but I am not aware of that duplicity with versions for the 355 G Claron.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    There are some earlier Dagor designs of other G Claron lenses (210mm and 305mm to name a couple) but I am not aware of that duplicity with versions for the 355 G Claron.
    Michael, I'm not ever sure we've determined that the 305 much less the 355 was made in a Dagor design. I have 270, 240, and 150 Dagor Type G-Clarons. If the longer lenses were also made, they must be pretty unusual. My G-Claron catalogue from 1967 lists the 305, but nothing longer.

The 305mm GC was absolutely made in both Dagor and Plasmat - I have one of both! The 305 Dagor covers 8x20 with a bit to spare, the Plasmat just barely misses the corners - probably ~535mm IC total.

I have never seen another 305mm GC Dagor. I don't know how "rare" it is.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Reference point from the Schneider website.

355 G Claron on 8x10 focused at 100' @ f32 has a depth of field from 40' to infinity. 8x20 is no different. Modest movements as a result are generally the norm in this condition both to optimize coverage and also to get the most out of the performance of each lens.

My point for the general viewing audience is given the optical properties of your specific lens package is to keep a minimilistic approach to your movements while carefully watching the GG while you stop down. Secondly, only stop down one stop beyond where you feel things are dialed in because of the inducement of unnecessary diffraction. Good Shooting!

I also have a 305 Dagor GC and I've seen Michael's prints. Whatever he does works very well.