Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shanghai, FP4 and Arista Edu

Shanghai, FP4 and Arista Edu

I tried to settle on one film, and since I live in Asia, and shipping from the US is exorbitant, and because I like the look of it, it made sense to settle on Shanghai. But lately there has only been one seller on ebay, out of Taiwan instead of China, and the price of the film has been going up.

I'm going to be in the US over Christmas, so can stock up on film, so now am wondering if I should take this opportunity to switch. Currently I can get 100 sheets of 4x5 for:

- Shanghai shipped to Bangkok $104
    -FP4 shipped in the US $105
    -Arista EDU shipped in the US $66

Anyone used these films? How do FP4 or Arista compare to Shanghai? The Arista is quite a bit cheaper. Is the FP4 40% better than the Arista?

If I change films I will have to test again, and learn the film, and every now and then will have to buy film in the US, so it may not be worth it?

Best, Tim

Re: Shanghai, FP4 and Arista Edu

I've used two of the three (Arista and FP4.) Well, I've used the Arista in 400, anyway. Arista is re-branded Foma. It's an ok film with a bit of an old fashioned look, but it's not FP4+. Some have reported quality control problems but I've not run into these (I think - someone in another thread I started about uneven development thinks a badly light struck negative might be, but it was one sheet out of the middle of a box and those around it fine, so I really think it's either a light leak in my bellows or a bad film holder.) I just play around with it because the look is sometimes appealing and because it's cheap to do so. My standard 4x5 film is TMY-2.

I don't really know anything about film availability in your part of the world but if I were going to settle on one of the films you list as my standard it would be FP4+. Ilford is the most likely to be around a long time, the film is always excellent as is QC.

It the FP4 40% better? I don't know - what size are you using it in, and how large do you print? Those are the first question. Another that might be relevant is that Arista aka Foma has about the worst reciprocity failure characteristics of any film, probably ever but certainly any modern film I've seen. Even at 1 second they recommend a 1 stop exposure increase:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/Fomapan_100.pdf

I assume you are looking at the 100 speed Arista/Foma, since you're comparing it to FP4. I've actually only used the 400. The 200 is said to be a more modern film, more like a T-grain film. I have not yet tried that though I have an unopened box in the fridge. I bought it because I was running low on my 400, they were out of the 400 at Freestyle, and I wanted some more cheap film to test those film holders and a few other tests. I'm not about to do that with TMY-2 when the Arista is less than $1/sheet versus nearly $2 for the TMY. However, I notice the reciprocity failure specs on the 200 are even worse than for the 100 and 400:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/Fomapan_200.pdf

Thanks Roger. That is useful. I am leaning toward the FP4. I would consider the Kodak, but it is so much more expensive than anything else that it seems extravagant. I might like it though, as apparently Shanghai was developed in a joint project with Kodak, so it might be similar to their film.

After I posted this earlier I googled Shanghai and did find it for sale in China, so I guess they still make it. Maybe I can get my office there to pick some up for me!

Cheers, Tim

Kodak is nice, but the price is getting so ridiculous I'm seriously considering switching to HP5+. I prefer nominal 400 films as a rule.

Having gotten into 4x5 after t-grain films came out I went straight to TMY. I don't really get along well with TMY in rolls and went back to Tri-X, but I've never used TXP. I probably should get some and use it, while I still can.

I use FP4 and Arista EDU 100 and 400 in 35mm, 120 and large format (4x5 and 8x10). Both films have produced great results for me and I like the look of both. However, I use much more Arista EDU than FP4 because of the cost. If I were in your shoes I would not hesitate to buy the Arista EDU. I have not personally had any problems but there have been reports of some quality control problems with Arista EDU, mostly spots on the emulsion, but I have not experienced any of these problems myself.

In reality, you will not regret using either film as they both are fully capable of producing great images. Have fun.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

I use Arista 100 film...it's not plus-X, but what is? It has similarities to Agfa apx 100. It's nice film, and the only other serious B&W player in the game. By buying tons of film for re-sale, they wield a big carrot to the rabbits of the film industry. So I support them because they go all over Europe looking for film makers who will cut film in the sizes they have demand for. Want 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 sheet film? They got it. You want ortho? They got it. Want 9X12 cm sheet film for your Voightlaander Avus, yup, they got it. Need 3 1/4 X 4 1/4 for your Graflex? Guess who sells it. No b.s. about ordering it in July to see if they will cut it for you, (like Ilford Ortho in 5X7)

Quote Originally Posted by premortho View Post
    I use Arista 100 film...it's not plus-X, but what is? It has similarities to Agfa apx 100. It's nice film, and the only other serious B&W player in the game. By buying tons of film for re-sale, they wield a big carrot to the rabbits of the film industry. So I support them because they go all over Europe looking for film makers who will cut film in the sizes they have demand for. Want 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 sheet film? They got it. You want ortho? They got it. Want 9X12 cm sheet film for your Voightlaander Avus, yup, they got it. Need 3 1/4 X 4 1/4 for your Graflex? Guess who sells it. No b.s. about ordering it in July to see if they will cut it for you, (like Ilford Ortho in 5X7)
    I wouldn't be to quick to to call Ilford's ULF film run b.s. Don't get me wrong, I think Freestyle is great and order from them pretty regularly. The problem is that there are many large and Ultra large format sizes that Freestyle doesn't stock that are available from Ilford on their special run. For example I recently started shooting Whole Plate, which is not available as a stock item from Freestyle, but is available on Ilford's special run. Also Freestyle is one of Ilford's Special ULF Run dealers.

Roger

The reason for the b.s. comment is that I do not consider 5X7 or orthochromatic film candidates for once a year ordering. Since they are making Ortho film, they ought to market it~which includes explaining why it is used in certain applications, at the minimum. Or at the maximum that you use it all the time except for portraits of girls with freckles, or women over about 22 years of age. From what I've heard, they even have freezers in England to store it in.

Get the Ilford.
    I use Arista.edu/Foma 200 as a "play" film (~200 sheets/year), but it can have serious quality control problems and has awful reciprocity. Ilford is a much better film.

I'm not sure, but from the info I have, Arista.edu is rebranded Forte, Arista.edu Ultra is rebranded Foma... but Forte is out of business quite some time, so I could be wrong...

Anyway, Fomapan 100 (that would be Arista.edu Ultra (?) 100) is one of my most used films. I use it in 120, 9x12cm, HalfPlate, 13x18cm... it's a very nice film, which I would recommend highly - you can have a look at some of the images shot on this film which are shown on my website here or here. The film has one significant drawback - reciprocity issue - it starts at 1sec, and gets progressively important at more than 10sec. IMO it's unsuitable for night shots... or you can use it, but the times get very very long. And I'd recommend to rate it at EI 64, some people shoot it at EI 50 to get better shadow details.

Fomapan 200 is a nice film too, that I've used only a little bit. Completely different film than the Foma 100. Also, I think it's more of a EI 125-160 film.

Fomapan 400, that one I have used only a few times and was very disappointed with it... but it could be my wrong usage of it.

Shanghai GP3 - I use that one in rolls only. It's a little worse than Foma 100 (scratches, emulsion deffects,...), but not bad to use if you scan your films.

Ilford FP4 - well you can not go wrong with that one. Wonderful and versatile film, but you pay the price...

Hope this helps

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").