Thread: Traditional, T-Grain films and whats out there?

Traditional, T-Grain films and whats out there?

I should know this, but for the life of me I can't remember any of this. Can anybody tell me when t-grain films came into existence? I remember something like early 80's, but don't remember exactly. Also if I wanted to emulate a film from the 40's and 50's in terms of grain and tonality what type should I look for? I know Arista EDU Ultra (Fomapan 100) is probably pretty close, but is there another I should be looking for? If it matters I'm developing in HC110.

Right now I'm shooting portraits in T-Max, and nudes, and everything else in traditional grain.

Re: Traditional, T-Grain films and whats out there?

If I recall, I believe Tmax films arrived around 87/88... Not sure which film you'd want to use to emulate 40's/50's... Tri-X?

Tri-X seems like an old-ish film, having been introduced in 1940's. It was changed (reengineered) in 2007 to be finer grained. Looking at the characteristic curves in Kodak Tech Pub F-9 (pre-reengineering), and Tech Pub F4017 (post-reengineering), it looks like the contrast was increased with the new version. The general shape of the curves doesn't seem to have changed. The 35mm emulsion has a slightly concave downward curve, while the 120 and 4x5 emulsions have slightly concave upward curves.

Today's Tri-X is definitely not the same as it was in the 40s and 50s, but to my eye looks very different than Tmax films.

I searched for Super XX and Panatomic X curves and couldn't find anything to compare to.

Foma 100 would probably be the best choice. Most of the tonality and "look" of that period's photos is in the lenses and lighting. Don't neglect that.