Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Major shop selling Expired film

Major shop selling Expired film

Yup

agreed you should get what you pay for

send them a link to this thread and tell them that the large format community on the internet is waiting for their decision...

Richard, as you are based in the UK you are covered by the Shops Act and Sale of Goods act; it is the retailer's fault and they should either offer a full refund or replace the 'faulty' goods at their own expense ASAP. However, as you bought from an foreign supplier, you are on shaky ground. If I were you, I'd ask for replacement film and negotiate with them on the out-of-date stuff - a starting position would be to find out if they sell it and at what price (maybe getting someone else to ask independently?)

They should have immediately sent you another box of film at their expense and apologized profusely. If they wanted the old box back they should have had it picked up by courier. Otherwise it could have been left with you free of charge. This was entirely their mistake and they should make it right.

You were not shopping for outdated film or else you would have ordered it. I would not accept it at any price and would demand a replacement shipment for the product you did order. If they want the outdated film back then they should arrange for return shipment - otherwise you should keep that free of charge.

Adorama Sucks.

Progress? Far from it. Apparently, 'bending over backwards to help', they've offered to send me a new box, to arrive by Saturday (when I need it) - but I'll have to stay indoors for a day waiting. They've even generously stated they won't even charge me postage on this new box! Of course, they've insisted I send back the original box (can't do pickup from the UK) within 14 days. When I pointed out I'd be away until the end of that period, they grudgingly accepted I could return it just after that, and they'd credit me the shipping fee. I pointed out I changed to them earlier this year, and have spent so far about $3 500 with them, and that if they expected this to be adequate, I'd change firm immediately. It didn't bother them - they insisted they need the box back to recover a credit and the loss of a customer, while disappointing, wasn't an issue to be taken into account. For this project, the tranny is often the end product, so unusually for me, batch testing is an issue (I normally wouldn't bother, apart from checking for x-ray probs on one sheet per box). Hence, I could either use this film, or resort to the back-up plan of having film sent direct to my destination by a UK supplier (this was, 10-sheet boxes are more acceptable, although I always wonder what I'd do if the film was the right stuff when I arrived!).

I accept mistakes happen, but good business practices can minimise them. This response makes me think it is normal business practice, in the hope few customers notice the out of date film, and of those who notice, most consider it not worth the trouble to return it (or need it too urgently to be able to). With a 'phone call yesterday, email first thing today, and another 'phone call just then, in which the Customer Service rep spoke with several other people, they had more than adequate chance to remedy the situation. The threat of being named didn't bother them either.

Adorama Sucks. In case you missed the name of the firm, ADORAMA.

Octogenarian

Richard, "Adorama Sucks"

Most experienced photographers in the USA are already aware of that fact. If you are determined to do business with a New York company, use B&H. They are honest and reliable.

Richard,

I would call up, speak to the manager of their customer service dept. (or the VP in charge of customer relations), and request a 90% credit. At $350 a box, they should want your business.

Perhaps you should mention to them that as of four months ago, Freestyle in North Hollywood was selling 2005 Velvia at - get this - $32.99 per box. Yes, that's no typo, thirthy three dollars per box.

I bought a box of it and it was fine. But for what you got, you overpaid by about 10x.

I have copies of the Freestyle ads if you'd like them. I'd demand a credit equal to the previous Freestyle prices.

Do keep us posted.

OH, RICHARD - one other important note. I do believe that Fuji Professional DOES have a policy about their vendors selling grey market/expired film without notice. I would very much suggest that you contact Fuji UK and/or Fuji USA and ask to speak with a customer service rep. I would follow it up as far as possible with Fuji, as they might be able to put some pressure on Adorama, or perhaps would be nice enough to help you out.

Jason, are you sure you meant "2005 Velvia" ? I got similar deals in the past from freestyle, but it would be for film that is several years old.

Richard,

Have you tried posting your problem over on photo.net? I believe Adorama is a major photo.net sponsor. They may not give a hoot if you post your tale here, but a posting over on photo.net might get their attention. I doubt if they want their pop-up ads featured in a thread complaining about their unethical business practices and poor customer service.

FWIW, I agree with the others 100%. They should replace the product immediately and at their expense. It was their mistake, not yours. They should bear the respobsibility and cost to make it right. The fact that they are reluctant to do so speaks volumes about their business practices and ethics.

Kerry

It has been very interesting to read this story. I had to keep reading to find out who the company was. I should have guessed. Though the details of my story are different, the take home message is the same.