Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major shop selling Expired film

Major shop selling Expired film

I recently started buying equipment/film from a major US store, shipped to the UK. It's been successful so far, and I've spent a couple of thousand dollars already this year. I was concerned about an order for 3 boxes of 50 sheet 8x10 film I put in Monday lunch time last week, for which the UPS tracking code only became active on Thursday. By Thursday morning, I had emailed asking why there was a delay, as I couldn't believe this store would take three working days for in-stock items (I checked when ordering) to leave the store, and that this time frame could cause problems. No reply.

Today I received the film. The boxes are dated 2005-3, 2005-1, and 2004-3. I telephoned and spoke with Customer Service, who acknowledge a mistake has occurred in sending out expired film, and offered a $40 credit (returns aren't practical). They said they spoke to their buyer, who felt there would be no problem with the film.

Now, I'm pragmatic - I think it's highly likely there are no problems with this film. This store is typically reliable enough to cold-store, and my experience of seriously out-of-date cold-stored film is positive. Nevertheless, I still feel furious at being given what should have been a significantly discounted item (in my experience, discounts of 1/3 are more typical for just-expired film, and sometimes 1/2). Even so, I would have bought it with the intention of using it in a slightly different context to the more demanding use to which I intended putting it.

I haven't named them yet - if the consensus is they've behaved below expected standard and their proposed remedy is inadequate, I'll name them. If not, they needn't receive the bad publicity.

What do people think?

(btw - there doesn't seem to be a category dealing with retailers; and this is a cross-post from the film and processing section of photo.net).

You paid for fresh film - they should deliver fresh film. Instead of a USD 40.00 credit, they should send you fresh film.

Bruce Watson

I agree the film should be fresh. If the film is black and white it is probably fine, but you paid for fresh. They should send you some fresh film and offer to pay for the return postage of the expired stuff, if they want it. You should also name names if they don't agree to resolve this with a new box of film.

Hi

I would agree thad you should get 50% for this mistake, then it would be fine for me. I just got also some B&W 8x10 films wich are dated June 04 wich makes me also not very happy and I will get a discount of 10-20%. I know in B&W is it not as critically but I still don't like it! In my case they came from Germany. I think you will find a faire solution to!

To clarify, the film is Velvia, at $350/box. I order it from the US as it's almost impossible to get 50-sheet boxes in the UK, and I find it much easier to take 4 50-sheet boxes as carry-on luggage than 20 10-sheet boxes!

Thanks for the comments thus far.

If it wasn't advertised and sold as expired film then they shouldn't have sent it to you -- period. That's what the expiration date means! In my opinion they should have expressed fresh film to you to make up for the "accident"; that's what you paid for and they agreed to supply you with. I'd be interested in knowing who it was: their response was inadequate, in my opinion, and I'd like to know who not to buy from. But if you're uncomfortable naming them, I completely understand.

Mike S.
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

It's color film, get a major discount of at least 50%. If it were me I would call the credit card company and file a grievance/chargeback. If it is for critical purposes it needs to be in date, period!

For a $350 box of film, a return is certainly practical (unless of course you need the film immediately), even from the UK to the US, and it should be at their expense. Was this all the same type of film? If it was, it also strikes me as odd that they sent you film from three different batches, with three different expiration dates. If this was B&H, e-mail Henry Posner at henryp@bhphotovideo.com. He will usually make things right.

B&H once sent me out of date color film by accident. When I called to complain, they offered me a discount which was not satisfactory to me. I sent the film back at their expense and fresh film was immediately sent to me. The discount offered you is too little; 40% to 50% would be more like it.

You should call them back and demand fresh film be sent without delay and if they want their expired film back to give you their fedex or Ups number to send it back. You are the customer and there are alot of companies that would love to have your business right now. Explain that to them and I am sure they will make things right. ...... If they balk....start looking for another company to deal with... my 2¢.......

Just another customer