Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gloves?

Gloves?

Reading through the forums I've seen a common trend. People wearing gloves while loading, unloading, processing, scanning and handling film in general. I've NEVER used gloves when handling my film from taking out of the box to placing it on my scanner, and I've never run into an issue. Are some people just being overly cautious? I find as long as I wash my hands right before handling film I can grab it anywhere even in the middle of the sheet and not have an issue.

Just wondering if I'm the only one, I know I'm not. But give me a good reason why some are wearing gloves and others not.

Re: Gloves?

I've never worn gloves and don't intend to, with the exception of working with potassium cyanide for wet plates.

I don't wear gloves at any stage with film, but do while printing - might be excessive, but I print one at a time, use one hand, and use a fresh glove for each print - off after fix, new glove under the enlarger...

Cheers,
    Dan

The big reason for gloves is not because of fingerprints it is to prevent the oils on your skin from causing issues. Washing ones hands prior to handling film works just as goo if not better.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

I wear latex (powderfree) medical gloves when developing film and in the darkroom because I have allergic reactions when I don't.
    I also wear them for loading and unloading 4x5 filmholders.
    They do not bother me at all and they are cheap.
    Luckily I am not allergic to latex

Handling IR film with bare hands can lead to fingerprints which enlarge quite nicely. I wear nitrile gloves when loading that stuff and while handling any chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Handling IR film with bare hands can lead to fingerprints which enlarge quite nicely. I wear nitrile gloves when loading that stuff and while handling any chemicals.
    Come on, Vinny. It's part of the look. Like out of focus, overexposed, light-leaky lomo pictures.

I too don't and never have worn gloves. Like others, I just wash my hands and thoroughly dry them before handling film. I do try to avoid fingering the middle of images though.

Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    I too don't and never have worn gloves. Like others, I just wash my hands and thoroughly dry them before handling film. I do try to avoid fingering the middle of images though.
    Yes, I should have clarified that. I don't touch the film anywhere but the edge and in what will be a rebate area anyway. I do wash my hands before.

I don't wear gloves when loading film, but I do wear them when handling chemicals. I wear cotton gloves when handling negatives, it cuts down on the fingerprints.
    Michael Cienfuegos