Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Excessively sharp lenses

Re: Excessively sharp lenses

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Maybe so with film, but the dslr I'm using now has put all my older small format lenses out of business. I've have two lenses that can take full advantage of its sensor—in the center. But not very far off axis. I haven't found any wide lenses, especially tilt/shift (very wide), that can do so.
    Try that 14mm mark 2 lens

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum..._f_2_8l_ii_usm

http://m.bhphotovideo.com/mobile/detail?R=519474_USA&

And .... Don't mock me... But "Ken" says its better than nikons haha

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/14mm-ii.htm

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Well, I don't need anything that wide, and do need a nikon. Canon does have an enviable 24mm t/s lens right now. Waiting to see how Schneider's megabux offering compares. It's the one based on the design of the 28mm f4.5 mamiya lens.

Well, I don't need anything that wide, and do need a nikon. Canon does have an enviable 24mm t/s lens right now. Waiting to see how Schneider's megabux offering compares. It's the one based on the design of the 28mm f4.5 mamiya lens.
    Well the article did say that the Nikon 14-24mm was SHARPER than the canon 14mm prime but had more distortion so depends what's important to you.

I know we are drifting off topic here but I'll confirm that the 14 to 24 Nikon is the sharpest wide lens I've used - unfortunately briefly.

But I'm kinda wondering if it is possible to adapt any of the best Mamiya II lenses to a Nikon body. Has anyone done that or reported on doing that. I've never used those lenses but from reports they may be among the sharpest, so adapted to 35 mm format one would be using only a large part of the center of the lens.

Paul, you have spoken previously about some Schneider megabuck lens but I can't find any info on what that might be - are you speaking of a new shift/tilt type lens?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    I know we are drifting off topic here but I'll confirm that the 14 to 24 Nikon is the sharpest wide lens I've used - unfortunately briefly.

But I'm kinda wondering if it is possible to adapt any of the best Mamiya II lenses to a Nikon body. Has anyone done that or reported on doing that. I've never used those lenses but from reports they may be among the sharpest, so adapted to 35 mm format one would be using only a large part of the center of the lens.

Paul, you have spoken previously about some Schneider megabuck lens but I can't find any info on what that might be - are you speaking of a new shift/tilt type lens?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    You mean Mamiya 7 II?

I think nikons have a problem adapting other lenses to them because of the glass to film plane distance. Canon's on the other hand can accept almost ANY lens with adapter ring because there's more play room for them.

However, because you're cutting the surface area when putting a MF lens on a 35mm body, the Mamiya 43mm lens will of course look like a 43mm lens on 35mm so it will be a "standard" lens, and the 150mm Mamiya will be a zoom lens.

There won't be a wide angle to use. Just get a Mamiya 7 and be done with it

Abuser of God's Sunlight

This lens for the Mamiya/Phase One. Very similar to an earlier model called the 28mm f4.5 D. That one was designed by Schneider and made by Mamiya; this one is made by Schneider.

The tilt/shift version for 35mm is on the left here. A contact at Schneider says it's based on the Mamiya design but ... but! It has been recalculated by Mrs. Ebbesmeier, "for an excellent performance." I'm not making it up.

I am hoping that it easily meets the OP's definition of excessively sharp, and that it won't be as expensive at it probably will be.

This lens for the Mamiya/Phase One. Very similar to an earlier model called the 28mm f4.5 D. That one was designed by Schneider and made by Mamiya; this one is made by Schneider.

The tilt/shift version for 35mm is on the left here. A contact at Schneider says it's based on the Mamiya design but ... but! It has been recalculated by Mrs. Ebbesmeier, "for an excellent performance." I'm not making it up.

I am hoping that it easily meets the OP's definition of excessively sharp, and that it won't be as expensive at it probably will be.
    Wow totally off topic but that new Mamiya has me drooling... Sadly I'll probably NEVER be able to afford the MF digital cameras in any reasonable time before they are obsolete...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Mrs. Ebbesmeier and Mrs. Roberts get together for lunch. They're good at math! You best watch out...
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Pwned indeed. Evidently Mrs. Hildegard Ebbesmeier holds several pattents and an award from the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences. One of the pattents looks a lot like the 110 super symmar xl.
    I absolutely want to be on a first name basis with my lens designers from now on.