Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: OK, So I thought you guys were my friends but you bid against me...

Re: OK, So I thought you guys were my friends but you bid against me...

I am guilty of gear lust from time to time, but most folks that see my work won't have a clue what lens it came from nor do they care. I use cheap cameras and user lenses so when it's lost stolen or damaged, I can continue making photographs without regret. Anyone can go to work, make money and buy something. Not everyone can create an emotionally provocative image that makes people think or feel something new, even with an eidoscope.

Quote Originally Posted by uphereinmytree View Post
    Not everyone can create an emotionally provocative image that makes people think or feel something new, even with an eidoscope.
    Yes, I am on a few forums. That's true on the large camera forum, on the small camera forum, on the newbie forum, everywhere. Some people are in love with the equipment but can't shoot. Some are in love with the process but can't shoot. Some are in love with Photoshop but can't shoot.

A new question. This lens turned out to be smaller than I imagined. Will it fit on a Linhof board? I have everything else adapted down to Linhof from Sinar, so I'd prefer that.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasfallon View Post
    A new question. This lens turned out to be smaller than I imagined. Will it fit on a Linhof board? I have everything else adapted down to Linhof from Sinar, so I'd prefer that.
    I have no idea if it will fit, but if you are sending it off to sk grimes just ask them if it is possible. If anybody can manage it they can.

Quote Originally Posted by uphereinmytree View Post
    I am guilty of gear lust from time to time, but most folks that see my work won't have a clue what lens it came from nor do they care. I use cheap cameras and user lenses so when it's lost stolen or damaged, I can continue making photographs without regret. Anyone can go to work, make money and buy something. Not everyone can create an emotionally provocative image that makes people think or feel something new, even with an eidoscope.
    Very true. Every so often my wants outgrow my wallet and I have to remind myself of this fact. When it all comes down to it the choice of lens plays a small part. All those small nuances between different lenses that we all love to talk about don't mean a whole lot to 99% of the people who will see your work. To them a $30 tessar looks the same as a $500 heliar and a $10 meniscus lens looks the same as a $5000 pinkham smith sa. It is a nice reality check. My own personal reality check came into play when I started to work with historic printing processes and realized how easy it is for the process to obliterate any sort of mythical lens signature (in a good way). Unfortunately I suck and am still on the quest to produce even one work that moves people - but it is a nice challenge to take on.

That being said lens/camera collecting can be fun in its own right (as long as it doesn't turn into a financially unhealthy addiction). To each their own. The photography world is big enough to allow the artists, the technicians, the collectors, and the amateur hacks like myself to all coexist in the same space.

I am glad to see there is still that much ($$$) passion for old lenses and I hope that much passion ($$$) is shown for film and chemicals which is where most of my money goes lately. The best thing I spent $$$ on recently was a renewed membership to a community darkroom called Pittsburgh filmmakers. That said, I do have many more lenses than I use (just in case!)

uphere, I've been thinning the lens herd. Aerial camera lenses that I'll never be able to use. Cine lenses I'll never use again. Lenses I got out of curiosity and will never use.

Passion is fine, but unrequited passion isn't all that wonderful. My lenses that don't love me back are funding acquisition of gear that has a chance of being used.