Thread: Ries J250 head mounting

Ries J250 head mounting

I'm hoping one of you folk who own J-series Ries tripods can help me out with a quick question...

I just stepped up in size from a Tachihara 4x5 to a Canham 8x10 woodfield and I'm having issues with my current tripod head. I've got a Kirk Photo ball head mounted on a Bogen 3021 legset. Both were fine for 35mm, MF and the 4x5 but the ball head is having trouble with the 8x10 (the legs seem fine though). I like the looks and reviews of the Ries J250, double-tilt head but I can't tell how it mounts to the tripods. My Bogen has a standard 3/8 in. stud sticking out of the top mounting plate, will the J250 just thread right onto that?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Ries J250 head mounting

Dean,

It'll thread right on. I use one and while it now handles a lightweight Phillips Compact II has, in the past, done admirable service with heavier beasties such as your Tachihara. It takes a few moments to get used too but once done you will like it a lot. Sturdy, versitle and locks down tight and with ease.

Ries J250 head mounting

Woot! Thanks Ted, that's what I wanted to know. I'd like to add a Ries tripod to the collection of really expensive toys too, at some point, but my checkbook is nearly on fire already from the Canham... :-) Besides, I like the way the 3021 folds up small...

Thanks again.

Ries J250 head mounting

Dean,

You won't be sorry. As for the Ries, my J250 is mounted on a J600 tripod. I actually use a 3001 with an Acratech head much of the time, especially when traveling. It handles everything up to and including my Horseman FA quite well and is the most compact solution I know of. I can put it in most any bag I own. The Ries, OTOH, has to be checked in a case. Both of them spend omost of their time in the back of my car and the ries is comfortable to lug over my shoulder for up to a mile or two. You will find the J250 is somewhat bulkier and heavier than yoru ballhead but you will likely get to likek it more over time.

Ries J250 head mounting

I use a J-250 head on an old A-series set of legs and it hasn't ever complained, even with my 8x10 at full extension. It can handle a lot more than what the good people at Ries rate it for. The only problem I can see with using the J-250 on a non-ries set of legs is panning, since the J-250 has no built in panning capability. Simple solution would be to pick up a panning base and put it between the head and the tripod. But then, you may find you do well enough without it. Either way, you won't be disappointed by the Ries head.