Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My Lack of Knowledge in Wet Plate

Re: My Lack of Knowledge in Wet Plate

The Chamonix 5X7 wetplate holder appears to be very similar in design to the above linked Graphlex plate holder. I hope to test the Chamonix this weekend.
    As to lens, I presume the faster the better. I was using an f9 lens but will switch to an f4.5 lens (Velostigmat) whose shutter doesn't work.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Alex Timmermans

Making your own plate holder is very easy and cheap http://collodion-art.blogspot.nl/201...wet-plate.html
    and wet plate isn't as wet as it sounds. I have been using severral camera's over the past years and non of them got damaged severely. Only slight signs of silver nitrate.
    start small, grow big is my advice
    "You dont take a picture, it's given to you"

www.alextimmermans.com
    www.collodion-art.blogspot.com
    email : collodion-art dot onsmail dot nl

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    The key here though is that the OP has a strong interest in learning Wet Plate and all of the knowledge/energy that this forum has in that field should be spent on helping her get to that end, not discouraging her with our own thoughts on why she should wait. It comes down to finding a way to help her say yes instead of no. I've been involved in Wet Plate for close to a decade now, Platinum/Palladium for the same amount of time and to this day wouldn't know the first thing about printing in Silver Gelatin. I learned Wet Plate out of a desire to do so and like many disciplines the cost of it is as much based on working methodologies, controlling waste, and being diligent in getting the most out of your medium as it does the original outlay of money. What's REALLY expensive is spending money on a medium you don't have as strong of an interest in based on some ideal of how to go about photographic pursuits. I hope the OP learns Wet Plate as fast as her life can allow--its a great medium of expression and is just as enjoyable in the process as it is in the final product. Don't wait another second is what I would recommend.

Monty
    Thanks, Monty I just saw this. If you can believe it I am just now getting everything together to practice wet plate. I am the OP. And I am thrilled to be able to finally get started!
    "The very instant that I saw you did
    My heart fly to your service." Shakespeare

You might find these reference books useful and free

A Manual of Photography . Mathew Carey Lea

http://archive.org/details/amanualphotogra00leagoog

And

The silver Sunbeam

http://archive.org/details/silversunbeampra00towluoft

Both written in the 1880's and very relevant for the world of wet collodion, and many other aspects of large format photography

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    The Chamonix 5X7 wetplate holder appears to be very similar in design to the above linked Graphlex plate holder. I hope to test the Chamonix this weekend.
    As to lens, I presume the faster the better. I was using an f9 lens but will switch to an f4.5 lens (Velostigmat) whose shutter doesn't work.

I purchased one of the 8x10 holders. The only complaint the plates have to be a fraction of an inch smaler than 8x10. Not a big deal but worth mentioning.

It's really a beautifully made holder and works perfectly. I would highly recommend these. I also had my brother who is an acoustic musical instrument maker make two inserts for me. One is full plate and the other 5x7. I'm going to get him to make a half plate and a panoramic insert too.

David Schaller

I would have had him make me a mandolin! Perhaps he has already. You are two very talented brothers.
    Thank you for your contributions to this forum Don. I always admire your work.
    Best,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    I purchased one of the 8x10 holders. The only complaint the plates have to be a fraction of an inch smaler than 8x10. Not a big deal but worth mentioning.

It's really a beautifully made holder and works perfectly. I would highly recommend these. I also had my brother who is an acoustic musical instrument maker make two inserts for me. One is full plate and the other 5x7. I'm going to get him to make a half plate and a panoramic insert too.