Page 82 of 290 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Thread: Linhof Serial Numbers

Re: Linhof Serial Numbers

Bob, Much thanks.

For lenses that are branded as Linhof, were they always supplied with a serial number from Linhof, or was the Schneider etc. serial numbers used/maintained on the lenses (or were there serials from both)?

Was it that for older lenses that Linhof replaced the rim around front glass and put ring over shutter with large LINHOF written on it, while for newer they simply imprinted in fine print on barrel Linhof?

Thank you!

Regards
    Anders

[QUOTE=Anders_HK;772365]Bob, Much thanks.

"For lenses that are branded as Linhof, were they always supplied with a serial number from Linhof, or was the Schneider etc. serial numbers used/maintained on the lenses (or were there serials from both)?"

Only the lens manufacturer's serial numbers. There isn't enough room on most lenses to put the Linhof name or logo and another number on a lens. With some lenses today they have to put the Linhof name on the rear barrel as there isn't enough room on the front one.

"Was it that for older lenses that Linhof replaced the rim around front glass and put ring over shutter with large LINHOF written on it, while for newer they simply imprinted in fine print on barrel Linhof?"

They may have done both over time, I have only been with the Linhof distributor since the late 70s so I have not seen every variation. But what difference does it make? Some lenses in Compur shutter have Linhof on the front of the shutter. Some on the front or rear barrel and some on the shutter and the lens. Some may have the Linhof name in red, some in white and some in black. All they all mean is that it was inspected and selected by Linhof. Just like the same was done by Sinar.

Hi Bob,
    I just bought a Linhof Super Technika 6x9 serial number 81745B. It is in black. Is this unusual for a IV which is what I think it is. What year please.
    Thanks for your help.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by khaki8 View Post
    Hi Bob,
    I just bought a Linhof Super Technika 6x9 serial number 81745B. It is in black. Is this unusual for a IV which is what I think it is. What year please.
    Thanks for your help.

Robert
    That is a very late 1956 or early 57 camera. My illustration of the camera shows black covering so another color would be rare.

Bob,
    Is it a III or a IV?

Thanks,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by khaki8 View Post
    Bob,
    Is it a III or a IV?

Thanks,
    Robert
    IV

Hi Bob,

How about camera accessories?

I have two multi-focal viewfinders, tan crinkle paint, with serial numbers in the 32118xx range. Do you know when these were made?

Thanks.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Hi Bob,

How about camera accessories?

I have two multi-focal viewfinders, tan crinkle paint, with serial numbers in the 32118xx range. Do you know when these were made?

Thanks.

- Leigh
    No but the current version has been current since the 70s so if yours does not have the two rings around the eyepiece, one for focal length (75 to 360mm) and one for distance you have a 40+ year old version. The current version is a zoom type so when you get to 360mm you have a very large image. On the ones that pulled apart at longer focal lengths the view is almost useless. The current one also adjusts for field size and parallax as you adjust the color coded distance scale.

Hi Bob,

I suspect this is from the 1960's just based on the appearance. I think contemporary Linhof cameras had a similar paint, though I'm hardly an expert on them.

This is the version with the single knob at the rear for setting distance; actually just a parallax adjustment.

Thanks very much.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Hi Bob,

I suspect this is from the 1960's just based on the appearance. I think contemporary Linhof cameras had a similar paint, though I'm hardly an expert on them.

This is the version with the single knob at the rear for setting distance; actually just a parallax adjustment.

Thanks very much.

- Leigh
    You are right, the knob adjusted the parallax. Focal length was adjusted by pulling the front and back apart or moving them closer as that was a cropping type finder.

you should be aware that the format masks for the current version does not fit the older ones.