Page 87 of 290 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast

Thread: Linhof Serial Numbers

Re: Linhof Serial Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    That is a 1975 Super Technika V, 23b. The last model before it was discontinued. The later versions were in black rather then the light grey. The cam is different then the focus scale. Put the lens standard into the camera body and move the focus tracks forward till you expose the tri-lobe cam. If it was cammed for the 53mm one lobe will be engraved 53mm and have the serial number of the lens stamped on it. If the serial numbers don't match then the camera will not focus properly at all distances. Also, the camera's serial number is on the bottom of the cam. If it doesn't match it also will not focus properly. If there were other lenses used with the camera their focal lengths and serial numbers are also on the cam. If they aren't a Linhof service center can cut the cam to match the focal length engraved on the lobe. If there is a serial number on the other lobes but you don't have the lenses then as you add lenses you will need a new cam.
    Thanks Bob, thats brilliant information and so quick. The 53mm & 180mm match the cam serial numbers. Sadly the 53mm lens has balsam separation in the rear element group otherwise would be a gem and the 180mm is full of fungus ! There was a 100mm lens as the cam has a serial number engraved but that is missing from the kit.
    Many thanks again.
    Dave

Mr. Salomon, Yesterday I purchased from a US Government Surplus Auction at Oak Ridge National Laboratories, a Linhof Aero Technika Camera, Serial number 6545019. It is complete with two film packs, serial numbers 6271061 and 6281061 and the aluminum carrying case. Could you please tell me a little about this camera? I would also appreciate any tips on selling it. Thanks

I very much appreciate the effort you put in answering these questions, and I would like to add the numbers of two old and sad Linhof 13x18 bodies, 3163 and 17505. These must be pre-war models, having 99mm square lensboards and backs for metal single sheet holders. Nr. 17505 has DRP and DRGM stamped on the frame, which should make it definitely pre-war.
    Thanks in advance
    Christoph

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman37879 View Post
    Mr. Salomon, Yesterday I purchased from a US Government Surplus Auction at Oak Ridge National Laboratories, a Linhof Aero Technika Camera, Serial number 6545019. It is complete with two film packs, serial numbers 6271061 and 6281061 and the aluminum carrying case. Could you please tell me a little about this camera? I would also appreciate any tips on selling it. Thanks
    Tips on selling are difficult. That camera requires 24V DC to operate the backs and those battery packs are no longer made as the charger manufacturer is no longer making the charger. In addition, if you are not using the vacuum backs you need 6V cells that go into the camera body to power the shutter and they are no longer made. Nor is the charger for them.

Then there is the issue with finding the 126mm 5" roll film stock on NATO modified spools. And, once you find it, who will still process aerial roll film? Many of the aerial emulsions, black and white as well as color, required special chemestries different then that used for normal amateur or professional films.

The Aero Technikas that Oak Ridge used are the unmodified ones that were also used by NASA on the Space Shuttle missions. The modification was basically fairly minor changes (like using Teflon coated wires and a different vacuum pump) that were integrated into the later models of the camera and back. The camera was introduced in 1973 and they stopped producing it a dozen or so years ago.

6545019 was made about 1979/80. They started on the Shuttle about 1982/83 but our records that old are in storage and are not recoverable for checking. But you might check the photo site at NASA to see how old the first Aero Technika shots were. The astronaut most commonly pictured shooting with the camera from orbit was George "Pinky" Nelson on a 1983 Discovery mission.

The vacuum roll back held 150 4x5 shots on the 126mm roll film and the camera could shoot all 150 frames at 2.3 second intervals. The vacuum pulled the film flat to the pressure plate during the exposure and pushed it away between frames for film advance. Lenses from 90mm to 250mm in helical mounts were available for the camera and there were pre-set locking positions on the focusing scale on all lenses except the 90, which was fixed focus (minimum focus distance was governed by governmental flight regulations for aerial work so a focus mount was not needed on the 90mm. The aperture and shutter speed settings lock into position. All lenses had IR focus marks as IR was very commonly used in this camera.
    If one did not want to lug the 24V battery pack around there was cabeling available to hook it up to 24V aircraft current directly.
    The camera was supplied with a regular Linhof 45 Technika back so sheet film and roll film could also be used in it.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrab View Post
    I very much appreciate the effort you put in answering these questions, and I would like to add the numbers of two old and sad Linhof 13x18 bodies, 3163 and 17505. These must be pre-war models, having 99mm square lensboards and backs for metal single sheet holders. Nr. 17505 has DRP and DRGM stamped on the frame, which should make it definitely pre-war.
    Thanks in advance
    Christoph
    3163 was 1947
    17505 I have no record of so it could be pre-war.

3163 was 1947
    17505 I have no record of so it could be pre-war.
    Thank you vey much!
    Best regards
    Christoph

hello mister salomon,
    for a "cream" linhof 220 n° 3522996
    thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MatchingMole View Post
    hello mister salomon,
    for a "cream" linhof 220 n° 3522996
    thank you!
    First version from 1967.

First version from 1967.
    ok, thanks a lot!

I have a Linhof Technica 4x5 camera serial number 54230 with a Linhof metal case and other lenses and a Linhof Technica serial number 44391. I also have a variety of lenses for this one.
    Any information on these two cameras would be greatly appreciated.