Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large format point and shoot

Re: Large format point and shoot

There is a LF photographer who uses a piece of string attached to the camera. It is set to the focus distance of the camera, about three feet. It works for him!

Xingqiwu

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Check out Kipp Wettstein's carbon 4x5 cameras:

http://www.kippwettstein.com/index.p...arbon-edition/
    These look like a very promising project, but if I read the description carefully, they're limited to the 120mm focal length. I have my trusty Technikardan to use with everything in the 90mm - 350mm range, but my problem is the 47mm XL! For that super-wide, I'd like to have a P&S of some kind, and the Cambo options are just astronomically expensive. The Wanderlust type would also be good, but they're probably not going to be in production while I'm still alive and they're also limited to the 90mm f.l. At some point, I imagine, many large format photographers will be able to afford their own 3D printing machines, and then we'll see a surge in great cameras that can be made in a jiffy to the owners' specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Weihan View Post
    At some point, I imagine, many large format photographers will be able to afford their own 3D printing machines, and then we'll see a surge in great cameras that can be made in a jiffy to the owners' specifications.
    A P&S is so simple to make that a competent cabinet maker could probably make you one for less than a printed version, and certainly sooner. My 4x5 P&S critical parts, the lens board and back, were planed to amazing precision by such a person. I am making another with a snap-in lens board and Linhof back for 47mm SA.

Fotoman cameras are well made..

Xingqiwu

I'm very impressed! But, alas, as for me, I couldn't even hammer a nail to a 6-foot square board. Absolutely no talent for handiwork of any kind It would be nice to see some shots of your diy camera

There is an ongoing thread of homemade LF cameras on the forum. Many camera's shown. 45 page thread... see it here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=show+homemade

Xingqiwu

Many thanks for pointing me to this DIY forum. Some of the working models are incredibly impressive; too bad I'm all thumbs when it comes to assembling things.

Xingqiwu

Have you every tried anything with metal or with ABS plastic? A lot of the models on the DIY forum highlighted below look like they have been assembled from many different parts from a wide variety of old cameras, sort of like the Litman guy does with Polaroid models maybe. Ideally, I'd like a DIY camera specifically for the Schneider 47mm XL along the lines of the Cambo Wide, without the Cambo price. I keep wondering how Wettstein goes about assembling his range of cameras.