Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodak Master View Repairs

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Re: Kodak Master View Repairs

Does the pinion in A riding the racks in B have a pressure spring? Or any adjustment of height? That could solve the problem by putting part A against the top of the track in part B.

But I also agree the warm water, soap and a tooth brush would help to see the full magnitude of the problem before doing anything.

If you find the lip in part A still to thin, maybe to could hammer it on a couple spots to make it thicker on these spots and leave the rest full length not the affect the sitting in track on part B. If you don't mind living on the edge.

I agree that a couple of mm of play is bad. I'd say the easiest way would be to use thin brass sheet to shim out the thickness. A hardware store should carry brass sheet in the thickness you describe (some art stores carry them as well) and it can be cut with tin snips. Use a file to remove any burrs and you should be able to glue it to the existing surface. You could also get a machinist to fabricate a new part for you though I have no idea how much that would cost.

Cheers, DJ

Rear Standard L-Bracket Material

The L-Bracket for the rear standard in this photo appears to be made from metal. On my KMV it's made of a bakelite material. Does anyone know if this part was made of different materials during this camera model's production run?

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    I recently bought a kodak master 8x10 and while it is useable as is, I would love to have some work done to fix a little shakiness from the 60 years of wear it has seen.

The problem stems from the brass tracks the rear standard rides in. There has been enough wear to allow some wiggle that I would prefer were not there. Here is a photo showing the pieces in question. This is the right side, the left side is simply a mirror image.

KMV Parts by CKeth, on Flickr

Does anybody know if there is a source for new old stock parts for these cameras or if I'm looking to sending it off to Richard Ritter to have the parts made from scratch?

Are you sure it's not just painted? Bakelite is a terrible structural material, especially in the context of an 8x10 camera that is not all that lightweight.
    -Chris

I retract my original claim. I think the bottom rear standard brackets are just painted to look like the front plasitc bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    Are you sure it's not just painted? Bakelite is a terrible structural material, especially in the context of an 8x10 camera that is not all that lightweight.