Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: how to get a LF photography assistant job?

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Re: how to get a LF photography assistant job?

Hello All,

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    I know several several commercial photographers who still work with LF and film and no digital. But they are based in Europe, but I know they will not hire assistants during this severe economic crisis. Maybe in the US you need a time machine because it's a totally different world.
    As an aside? ... I should perhaps mention that I've just today signed off the image layout for a magazine / journal article incorporating 12 LF images. All were drum scanned from 4x5 transparencies and delivered on CD as either A4 or A3 images (RGB and CYMK). Some of these images fell out of a long term project I have been engaged in but others were produced just for the article. What is important to note is that all of this was planned. The commissioned lead in time for the writing of the article and the production of the images was reasonably long. Working with trad. LF and transparencies was simply a non-issue. The owner / editor of the journal was concerned only with the suitability of the images. How they were produced was immaterial. And yes, I generally needed assistance ... though thankfully it was provided by a colleague. Still, this is New Zealand. Perhaps it's just that New Zealanders are not as driven and impetuous as North Americans? Who knows

Best, Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

Quote Originally Posted by C_Remington View Post
    But, that business (LF) doesn't exist anymore right??
    LF as basis for commercial photography has clearly become so rare that its actual existence might be disputed, but as a whole commercial photography is alive and well. Volatile, yes, and highly competitive as always, but it's there. Assisting is a great job option that teaches you a hell of a lot. And it no longer has to be something you do on your way to being a commercial photographer yourself. I've been assisting about five years in total now, and one of the greatest things I've learned is that I would go nuts as a commercial shooter. I'd hate it. I love assisting, though, and it allows me to be deeply involved in the industry without putting at risk my own relationship with making photographs. I make enough to pay my bills and save for other things and I have a great time doing it. All in all, a great line of work. Not for everyone, but if it's a good fit for a person, it's very rewarding.

wow, good for you

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Ranzio View Post
    I assist a well known fashion photographer in NY. We use 4x5 and 8x10, as well as smaller formats and digital. And even 8x10 Polaroid. I think fashion is the one area where people still want to use film and darkrooms, and I got my job partially because of my film experience.

However I do not think what we are doing is common and you can't have my job ;-p
    Haha... of course
    I live in NYC too. Would you mind grabbing a coffee sometime?