Thread: how to organize your film ?

how to organize your film ?

as i get more into film vs digital photography, I have lots of negatives, everything turns to a mass. I'd like to ask your solution for that.
    And how you manage you scanned images, do you do one high resolution or you do multiple different resolutions.

Re: how to organize your film ?

I number all of the negatives I will keep. I write it in the rebate area. If I developed film today, the numbering scheme would go 13 1 31 1. That is (year) (month) (day) (negative number going up from 1). That number goes in the file name when I scan it. It goes in printing notes. It goes everywhere.

(Shrek)

I do a 1200ppi scan and file those in folders organized by camera and/or lens. Camera for all my vintage small format gear, lens for lf. Mostly because I'm a very disorganized person, and that's the only way I can keep track of what's what. The scanning date gives me the date it was taken, +/- a couple of days. Then everything goes into sleeves in binders, newest on top.

thanks for sharing. so do you only keep the negatives that you liked and threw out the ones you wouldn't use?

I won't keep negatives with clear technical problems that can't be overcome in printing. I keep probably 85% of the negatives I shoot.

Each 4x5 or 5x7 sheet is put in its own sleeve inside a envelope with a brief description of what it is "flowers & vase" "old factory door" etc.. I don't see a need to record useless info such as camera type, lens, shutter speed or anything else. I scan the ones I like, but keep everything.

120 gets put in sleeves and scanned as a contact sheet from which I will decide what frames to scan larger. The contact sheet gets deleted after I scan what I need. The 120 is named the same was as my sheet film.