Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Best 4x5 Developing Tank

Re: Best 4x5 Developing Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Are you agitating constantly with X-Ray film and just 120ml of developer, wash, fixer etc.?

RR

Yes, I'm agitating constantly for 6min (@20 C). I just use the Massive Dev. Chart app.

If you do use panchromatic film in future and you want to use stand or semi-stand development you will need 500ml of developer etc. so the mods will be needed. They have no deleterious effect when you go back to constant agitation for X-Ray (or colour) film. The mods are there to help when you need the film to be covered completely in the tray when stationary.

RR

Just to clarify. I'm a nood when it comes to developing 8x10.
    I've only developed 6 sheets of x-ray film so far. But, I've read everything I could find on using the Orbital for developing film. That also includes the PDF that's mentioned a couple of times in this topic.

Because x-ray is double-sided I was very cautious on doing anything to the inside of the tray. Most tips on using Panchromatic film with the Orbital, advise sanding and/or adding "bumps".
    I did some test with my first 6 sheets of x-ray film. And I can now safely say, that sanding 'might' work. But, adding bumps will ruin the emulsion on the x-ray film. And I've no intension on bleaching the damaged side of the film.
    Why 'might' sanding work! The area around the peg-holes was causing scratches on the x-ray film. So I sanded them down a bit. And this worked great with my last two sheets of film. But it still has not convinced me, in doing the whole inside area of the Orbital.
    I did remove the two arms on the top part of the Orbital. Because I could see some damage on the film because of them (very faint though). But that might also be caused, by me agitating too wildly.

When i decide to use Panchromatic film (still have some Delta 100 4x5 lying around). i would probably try out the same method as with the x-ray film. I did a test with a 8x10 sheet I found, when I bought my film holders. And I have no problem in keeping the sheet, from sticking to the bottom. And that, with only 120ml of developer. So using 4 times as much developer for a stand/semi-stand developing, does not even seems like a good idea.

I settled on the combi plan and have four of them, buy extra parts as they are out of production. I found the size up to 6 negatives-processed at once to be good for my personal use. I never had any drainage issues that were not my own fault things like not sealing the flexible top on the plastic body or when tapping the body for air bubbles cracking the bottom drain when I hit the edge of my sink DUH!
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by ki6mf View Post
    I settled on the combi plan and have four of them, buy extra parts as they are out of production. I found the size up to 6 negatives-processed at once to be good for my personal use. I never had any drainage issues that were not my own fault things like not sealing the flexible top on the plastic body or when tapping the body for air bubbles cracking the bottom drain when I hit the edge of my sink DUH!
    Afraid you are jumping to a conclusion. We have all of the parts for the Combi Plan 45 system in stock, in pleantiful quanties, except for the tank body itself which is no longer available.

So yes, the Combi is out of production and will not go back into production but all parts, excep for the tank, are readily available.