Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Zone VI modification worth the cost?

Zone VI modification worth the cost?

Thanks again to all. I very much appreciate the advice, as I now have a better understanding of what is involved. Considering everything there is to learn, I agree that it makes sense to get an accurate meter ASAP. I've placed an order with Calumet for the Zone VI meter (out of stock with an estimated ship date of June 6th), so I guess I'll just have to be patient until then. In the meantime, I've gone to the library and checked out "Zone VI Workshop, the fine print in black & white photography" by Fred Picker, for some more knowledge and a bit of inspiration :-)

Just don't get so caught up in all the Zone System nonsense that you forget to make photos. Blowing an extra sheet or two by bracketing, in order to "cover your ass" is simply a good policy no matter how devoted you are to Saint Ansel.

I don't know whether Ansel ever bracketed. Is the Pope Polish?

When you are singularly a 4x5 shooter you are exactly correct in the fact that another exposure it is like reaching for another piece of tissue paper. You do not even think about it. However as the format increases (ie. your previous post on exploring ULF), this mindset is not reasonable. B&W 8x10 film is about $2.45 a pop and 12x20 is nearly $6.50 an exposure. I would be taking out a second mortgage in employing this mentality within my photography.

I try to formulate a consistent approach to photography because it can easily be translated to any format without having to mentally overcome old potentially inefficient habits. Strive for perfection right out of the starting gate and you will never be sorry.

Cheers!