Thread: George Tice "Urban Landscapes" 2002 ed.

George Tice "Urban Landscapes" 2002 ed.

I believe the first ed. of "Urban Landscapes" was 1978. The recent edition has photographs taken as late as 1999. Does the recent edition contain all images from the first ed. or was there some editing done?

The recent edition (copyright 2002) of "Urban Landscapes" that I have says it's the first edition. I know there was a previous book by Tice called "Urban Landscapes: A New Jersey Portrait" (1975) but I thought they were two entirely different books (except, of course, that some of the photographs are common to both). The current "Urban Landscapes" was published in conjunction with an ICP exhibition in 2002.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have both books- there is some commonality, but I'll have to look to see just how much. It's an interesting comparison to see how much offset printing has improved in the last 30 years. The new book looks much better, although the first must have been very good for the time.

Tice considers the new book an update of the old one. He added more recent images and removed images that he felt were not as strong or had not stood the test of time, in his opinion.

The original 1975 1st. edition has been hard to find as the years went on. I wonder if it has any real worth or its value has been superseded by publication of the 2002 edition. Thoughts?

I have both these books and I can not, for the life of me, figure out why Tice would have called his latest book "Urban Landscape" just like he did the first one - very confusing. His latest should really have been called New Jersey something or other as ALL the pics were taken in NJ and the book is, in fact, all about NJ. Many photos are in both books but the first one did not specifically relate to NJ alone. Both are great books, of course, but the latest one is, IMO, ineptly titled.

Daniel,

Tice's urban landscape project was to document New Jersey cities (mostly - the famous oak tree was on a freeway median, I believe) with an 8X10 camera. All the photographs in both books are limited to New Jersey. The new book is meant to bring the old one up to date. You should think of it as a revised edtion of the first book.

My certainty on saying this is based upon hearing Tice lecture about the project and some conversations I had with him at a workshop he conducted.

Thanks to all of you who gave me some info re Tice's 1975 vis-a-vis 2002 versions of "Urban Landscapes." Unless one is a fanatic collector and must have everything as complete as possible, I think the 2002 ed. lessens the value of the 1975 piece which is what I was trying to determine.