Thread: inserting images in post

inserting images in post

I know this has come up before, but I can't find anything with the search feature. Maybe someone can help me.

I'm wondering how to insert a link or an image in an image sharing post so that the image shows up large in the post, rather than just as a thumbnail. The only thing i have been able to do with the icons shown is post a thumbnail or a link.

Thanks

Re: inserting images in post

[img] then the url from another host[/img]

I'm curious about how to do this as well and PLEASE, explain it like I'm a three year old instead of in computer jargon.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I'll try it, Tim. If it works, I'll attempt a further explanation.

Thanks, Gandolfi.

To insert and image, it must be stored somewhere that is accessible by internet. That would be personal webspace, flickr, imgur, photobucket, or any of many, many other services both free and paid. Each image will have an address, just like a webpage. It will be in the same format as a webpage but will have a file extension of an image file such as .tif, .jpg, or .png

To insert an image, you must copy that address. You need to right click on the image you want to insert (command+click on a mac) and select "copy image address." Then you come back here to your post and click the button in the post interface that looks like a tree in little crop marks. In the window that pops up you will select "from URL" because it's a URL address you just copied, and pastethe address into the text box by right clicking (or control+click on a mac) and selecting paste.

That will give you something that looks like this: [ IMG ]http://www.abload.de/img/8mmandsuper8anddoubleq77ob.png[ /IMG ] except without spaces between the brackets and the text inside the brackets. I did that so you can see the text rather than the image. When I remove those extra spaces, it will look like this:

as I do it... (I was a bit quick before..sorry):

An image from APUG:

Look at the attachments: the final blue coloured text is the one I copy in between [img] and [/img)..

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image-01.jpg   Image-02.jpg   Image-03.jpg   Image-04.jpg  

inserting images in post

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    Why can't images of our own be put here so we don't have to put them on some internet site? They are set to size on our computers and ready to go, why not?
    You can. When you're writing a post, there an option below that about attaching a file. It will go I to a post as a thumbnail that must be clicked on rather than a full image though.
    -Chris

Peter

You can upload your image to the public folder in Dropbox, then copy the link and enclose it in the [img][/img] tags if you don't have your own server and don't want to use Flickr or other website.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    Why can't images of our own be put here so we don't have to put them on some internet site? They are set to size on our computers and ready to go, why not?
    The issue is available server space. The Forum has a server with space for images, but it is limited, so the images have both size constraints and compression effects. External services, like Flickr, have more server space available, and as far as I can tell from experience, less compression. So while you can upload images to the Forum server, in my experience, the images can be larger, and more importantly, look more like they do on your own terminal, if you store them externally on the web, and then insert the URL pointer, as described in other posts, into your Forum post. Since my computer skills are limited, I have found Flickr, which is designed to make it easy to upload images, to be my best approach. I upload to Flickr. Then in Flickr you automatically get a series of different sizes of your image to choose from, and once you have made your choice, the "BBcode" (HTML code) is given to you. You do a copy of that code from Flickr, and paste it into your Forum post.

Here;s a video I did for the wetplate forum on how to use the menu items.
    http://screencast.com/t/a3hLj02dRw