Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: College level Photography?

College level Photography?

My understanding is that when you get an MBA, the most important part is not necessarily what you learn, but rather a new mindset and the new connections you make with the right people. Maybe the same is also true of MFA, where you would be introduced to the art world. Although Andreas Gursky grew up in a family of commercial photographers, it is doubtful he would have become the photographer he is without attending the Dusseldorf Academy for the Arts.

If that was the case, we'd have thousands of "successful" MFA-holding art photographers out there. Instead we have a handful, even though the schools produce hundreds of new MFAs every year.

Also, it is ironic that QT's work is a perfect example of something that would get dismissed in most MFA programs. Not that I agree at all, but I can hear the discussion in my head...

Maybe a better example is Jeff Wall - art historian, knew how art dealers work and formed relationships, and now sells his photos for hundreds of thousands.

Frank, I think it depends on how you define successful MFA's. Simply getting a teaching job at a mjor university would be defined as extremely successful in most students book. I read a study one time that was some years back. I think it was of graduates from the San Francisco Art Institute. I am not sure about that. It said that 10 years after graduation only 1 in 11 MFA's were still working in the field that they graduated in. I must be one of the lucky ones. Based on my years of teaching I think the stat is strictly true if one means making ones living producing photographs or teaching photo. But I have known many MFA's that went on to very successful careers as writers, book editors, gallery owners, collectors etc. I have a good friend who went on to become a very successful estate attorney, gallery owner and important collector. His MFA while not giving him a living went on to define his personel interests for a lifetime. He has the greatest personal collection of photography that I have ever seen, rivaling some museums and is a great promoter of the medium and the arts in his state. I know he greatly appreciates his photo education.

I have an MFA and have taught part time for 17 years at major universities. I needed the MFA for that, but most of my income comes from commercial architectural photo and gallery sales, which I do not need the degree for. But even in the commercial work I think my knowledge of art history has informed my style and contributed to my success. It was not necessary, but I am very glad I did it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"