Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: archival box for presentation

Re: archival box for presentation

Both the Light Impression box and Cachet boxes are good clamshell boxes. The Light Impressions box is slightly heavier and sturdier, but the Cachet is a nice clean looking box with somewhat smoother surface.

I believe you can hold about 15 matted (4 ply/4ply) prints in the 2 inch high boxes.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Good to know. Thank you for your advice!!!

Carr McLean has nice offerings, pricy but nice, I use them for special items.

Ten 4-ply (11x14 GSP matted to 16x20) dry mounted prints with interleaving tissue in a 1.5 inch linen box about 3/4 full:

I don't feel it's necessary to include windows with a portfolio, and may even work against you. Anyway, if windows are included just double (4-ply) or triple (8-ply ...uh, that would be me) the required space. Just measure the depth of your mounts (and windows) and multiply away to figure how deep a box you need.

The Cachet boxes are used very liberally at shows and galleries as they are fairly inexpensive. IMO, they're utilitarian. Honestly, if your prints are "pigment" (), the archival nature of the boxes would seem to be mostly hype.

Maybe you can get Tri Tran to make you some of his 20x24 beauties (bottom of page 5). They're the bomb – almost good enough to justify me presenting my prints in them.

Tri Tran's presentation cases are stunning like hell! I would love to get one if I had money. Now, Pricewise, I might get a Cachet for $70.
    Yours looks awesome too! I am really excited to get my portfolio ready, as soon as I get the prints, mats, and archival box.
    Thank you for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Do a web search for Light Impression problems. Then if you still want to order from them, good luck.

Roger

Edit, didn't see your last post, yes Archival Methods is good. I've placed a couple orders with them, first class outfit.
    After almost twenty years with Light Impressions, I switched to Archival Methods. I agree, they are an excellent outfit.

(off topic) Roger- Glad to see that your lens finally arrived! Caught your saga on the local news last evening.

Merg

Beginner 5x7 Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    After almost twenty years with Light Impressions, I switched to Archival Methods. I agree, they are an excellent outfit.

(off topic) Roger- Glad to see that your lens finally arrived! Caught your saga on the local news last evening.

Merg

Another thumbs up for Archival Methods. I place my order, I get my stuff. No problems.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post

Merg
    Right on, yes is was quite a saga, and a happy ending thanks to 7 On Your Side.

Roger

Mike,
    You are easy to pleased. i feel bad to hear the IL is terrible, all my photo professors like it.

I remember Light Impressions when they were in Rochester... A destination for any photographer... visit GEH and LI in a single day pure bliss.
    I saw an Ansel Adams show there, bought books , paper, chemistry and art supplies.. This was even before Fred Picker started his magic marketing machine.

Sadly by what I read on the web they have destroyed their reputation and are a mere shadow of what they once were.
    Quote Originally Posted by davisg2370 View Post
    Then they haven't bought from them in awhile. They are not the same company they were a few years ago.