Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LF Conference Thoughts

LF Conference Thoughts

Steve,

As to the "where should the next one be located" question? I think it would be best if it was in a location which is an airline hub, or at a city with a major airline connections. I know this would preclude a place like Monterey (and I certaintly understand and agree with your choice of venue), but it would be a bit easier for some folks to attend if a rental car wasn't a necessity from another city.

I was fortunate enough to get a flight to LAX, and then catch a puddle jumper into Monterey. This was due to my wife's relentless use of the internet. Had she not been so persistent, I wouldn't have know of this option.

I like the idea of a beginner's seminar, for those of us who are not as well versed in the use of a view camera as others. I think the sound question stems from the fact that some of us are getting a little older and have lost a bit of hearing. In a packed room, with some speakers not projecting their voices well, it was at times more difficult to hear. I was able to follow most speakers quite well, although I have lost a lot of hearing from running machinery. I did hear a couple of participants growling about not hearing, but it seems to me they were perhaps in the same boat I'm in with hearing loss.

I don't know of a solution for the room size issue. First come first served would work, but I know it would be difficult to have assigned seating or a cut-off point for room size. This one could use some more brain-storming from attendees for a solution. Anyone have an idea for the room size problem and a solution? The only thing I could think of would be an advanced sign-up for seminars, but this would be difficult for planning and some people would probably be wanting to change talks along the way.

Again, thanks for a great conference. I did enjoy seeing Paul get the recognition for a lifetime of LF work during the opening night talk. It was a very nice gesture and I'm sure he will cherish the award.

LF Conference Thoughts

Possible locations for next year

Baltimore Wash DC Chicago Springfield, MA

any thoughts

also a bigger lunch break and shift the trade show houws later to allow more attendance after the seminars

steve simmons

LF Conference Thoughts

All four of those locations sound like they could be good. I'll put in my vote for Springfield, just because I'll be living in the Boston area by then...

I'd also love to see more opportunities to shoot with other photographers. It might be as simple as Steve and crew providing some sort of bulletin board area for folks to self organize...

LF Conference Thoughts

Definitively agree on extending breaks and trade show hours, as I felt I had to choose between seminars (that often went overtime, nothing wrong with that) and checking the trade show. I thought that having Michael Smith and Clyde Butcher readily available at the show was great, maybe more photographers should be invited ?

LF Conference Thoughts

I had a ball. Thanks, Steve and staff, for all the hard work.

Lots of folks came to see my Paper/Developer Shoot-Out prints, and the scary thing was that most (almost ALL) of the folks whose work I have seen and really respect chose Forte Elegance with Fine Art VersaPrint II as their favorite in a blind test using over 400 prints! The sharp eyes have a consensus, it would seem!

But besides that, it was a just lot of fun. Yeah, room sizes were sometimes a problem, but how does one anticipate that? Does not earn an official "complaint" from me. Many nice people, and fun to just chat with other photographers. It gets lonely here in the wilds of New Hampshire.

Next time, Springfield, MA. Close to Hartford airport (SWA fares and good schedules), lots to photograph in New England, good conference facilites available, and easy access from Interstate 91. Oh, and close to me, too!
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

LF Conference Thoughts

Hey Steve,

As far as future locations go, you'll never please everyone all the time. I like the idea of alternating East and West locations. I personally prefer the West, (closer to home) but to make it fair and accessible to as many people as possible, I think moving the conference around the country makes the most sense.

As a nature photographer, I'd prefer someplace with great scenery, but that's my own personal bias. No matter where the conference is held, I'll attend (schedule permitting). As long as the attendance doesn't get to be more than about 300, anyplace with a decent size college/university or a major hotel/convention center would work as a hosting site. Any place reasonably accessible by commercial airlines would make it easy for folks to attend.

Specifically, either Asheville or Gatlinburg (but not during the crowded Summer tourist season - May would be nice) would be great. If you ever want to hold a conference in Portland, I could help arrange things (May would be great for weather and photo opportunities). I don't really care for Las Vegas (just not my style), but it has the advantage of cheap airfares and plenty of hosting facilities. It's also within a days drive of locations like Zion and the Grand Canyon. I attended the NANPA connevtion there a few years back and combined the conference with a photo trip to Southern, UT. Worked out great. I'd do that agin in a heart beat.

Other possible cities that are well served by commercial airlines: Chicago, Denver, Salt Lake City, Seattle, St. Louis, Washington DC, Phoenix, etc.

Kerry

LF Conference Thoughts

Next year, Albequerque. Big airport, lots to shoot, close to Santa Fe, great food.

Had fun talking to the people from MidWest, from Bostick and Sullivan (Esp. Ms. Bostick), The View Camera Store (boy do I have a lot to do now), and that strange little booth with all the modified R.B. cameras. It was nice visiting the Calumet booth (thank you for the film), seeing all the light weight field cameras all over the place and while not meeting Michael or Paula, the guy at their booth was a gas to talk to (have a great trip to Iceland). Next year, I'll find the time (money) to take some of the sessions.

tim in local san jose

LF Conference Thoughts

Steve Simmons is the MAN!

I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread and with the Atkins diet I don't get sliced bread anymore. Seriously it is the best opportunity that I have to spend some time with my peers and that is sweet. It is also the best opportunity I know of to preview the odd equipment that we need and use. For instance I needed to order a very specifically designed bellows similar to the wide angle on the Walkers but longer and I needed to order it from Bromwell and low-and-behold they are sharing the same booth and Walker just drew up the specks and handed it over to Bromwell! Whoa! This was almost cosmic. Also I was able to see and subsequently purchase (at a really sweet price 25% below mailorder!) a Lowepro bag that I had only seen pictures of.

The highlights for me were: hanging with my friends and former students that I see all to rarely, networking with companies that I have had relationships with, the award to the legend Jack Boucher (it feels so good to acknowledge these guys while they are alive and can appreciate it), seeing some student work that really impressed me, being able to pimp off the very dedicated hard work of Bruce Barlow (that was great Bruce!) and getting a good survey of the ways that people are integrating digital into traditional large format.

I still think it should stay a bi-annual event. My life is so busy that the entervening two years flew by and I was stoked to do it again. Do it anywhere in the continental US in two years and I will be there!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

LF Conference Thoughts

Hi Steve,

I'd suggest Sacramento, CA. It has a central location in the state, airport, plenty of lower cost facilities to choose from, numerous colleges and Arnold! Also, we're only 3 hours from Yosemite, 5 hours from Bishop (Eastern Sierra) and an hour and a half from the coast. And, since weather can be a concern with many other locations, we had temperatures in the low 80s last weekend.

I (and maybe even a couple other photogs here at The Bee) will offer to help your staff coordinate. Just give the word.

Prior to working for the paper, I spent 8 years as a rep. with a couple camera companies and all the conventions I attended or presented for had distinct show and training sessions with a couple hours overlaping in the middle of the day. Mostly the show ran in the first half of the day with the training sessions in the afternoon and evenings. This gave the reps plenty of time to attend/ present and attendees enough time to do both.

I am for annual events but alternating the region. This provides attendees the flexibility to plan on attending only local venues or far away sites (sort of reminds me of the old IPOSA days).

Anyway, just my .02 worth.

LF Conference Thoughts

I thought the conference was quite inspirational and it revived my desire to do creative large format photography. The Weston visit was the highlight of the trip for me - it's a good feeling to see the passion and love for photography continuing on through generations with Kim and Gina. Gordon Hutchings was also inspiring in his philosophy and experience. As for location, Santa Fe, New Mexico sounds great (happened to have breakfast and lunch with Ms. Bostick). So thanks to Steve and his great staff for a wonderful experience.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com