Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! My Folmer & Schwing 7x17 has issues!

Re: Help! My Folmer & Schwing 7x17 has issues!

I ran across this page on lenses suitable for 7X17:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...30-7x17-lenses

If you have time to measure the maximum bellows extension on your 7X17, I'm curious what it is. I did a bit of searching for the information, but couldn't find it readily.

Len

Lee Smathers

That's another great link, Len. I've been reading up on that. I'm surprised that the 210 Super Angulon might cover this format. I'll have to try that once I get all the pieces back together.

I can measure the maximum bellows. Where would I measure from?

Lachlan 717

The 210mm is probably bigger than the 480mm!!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    That's another great link, Len. I've been reading up on that. I'm surprised that the 210 Super Angulon might cover this format. I'll have to try that once I get all the pieces back together.

I can measure the maximum bellows. Where would I measure from?
    Measuring from the front of the ground glass screen to the front of the lens board with the bellows racked all the way forward should be fine. Even an approximate measurement holding the measuring tape above the camera will work. I'm mostly curious how the 7X17 extension compares with the 22 inch extension of the 12X20 F&S. Knowing the bellows length also will give you an idea on what longer focal lengths you can use. There is always the option of using a custom extension lens board to move the lens mounting face forward a bit, but longer FL lenses tend to be heavy so the leverage of an extension board will put strain on the lens board mount.

Len

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    The 210mm is probably bigger than the 480mm!!
    Well I'm an idiot. I'm using Symmar-S. Thanks for the correction. Super Angulon is my 90mm.

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Robertson View Post
    Measuring from the front of the ground glass screen to the front of the lens board with the bellows racked all the way forward should be fine. Even an approximate measurement holding the measuring tape above the camera will work. I'm mostly curious how the 7X17 extension compares with the 22 inch extension of the 12X20 F&S. Knowing the bellows length also will give you an idea on what longer focal lengths you can use. There is always the option of using a custom extension lens board to move the lens mounting face forward a bit, but longer FL lenses tend to be heavy so the leverage of an extension board will put strain on the lens board mount.

Len
    Got it, Len. I'll measure in the morning. When I get to my office.

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Robertson View Post

Len
    Len, I measured 41.5 cm / so a little under 16.5 inches.

Lee Smathers

I'm sending my camera off to Richard Ritter to get modification done to it. I am now no longer in need of an original F&S 7x17 holder. It appears to be in good shape for it's age, though the tape at the bottom needs to be replaced. Both sides of the holder are ripped off. I'll post photos of the holder. I haven't placed this anywhere for sale, as I am unsure of it's value. I'm going to place it here first since you all were so helpful. Perhaps we can do a bidding style? PM me with your offer or post here. Bidding is not open yet. I'm not sure if this is against forum rules.

Posted at the top of the For Sale forum: "The sales price must be clearly stated in the original post. Auctions are not permitted."

Thank you for measuring the bellows draw. I suppose about the longest FL lens you will be able to use is a 14" or 15" FL. Unless you can make an extension lens board off some sort. I've always thought it might be possible to make a short front extension track without the geared rack. It would be just a place to park the front standard and focusing would be done with at the rear standard. Finding racks with the pitch to match the old view cameras is difficult. People often post that you can buy lengths of rack material from Small Parts and other suppliers. But anytime I've ever searched their catalogs I can never find the correct pitch. Richard Ritter may have a source though. However you may not have enough bellows length to extend any farther than the present tracks allow. It is probably more sensible to learn to use the camera as it is.

Len