Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Please Recommend a Ball Head for 4x5

Re: Please Recommend a Ball Head for 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    From recent reading I've done, it looks like FLM has several configurations of their 38mm ballhead, including the model Ari has and the one Dave mentioned with the concentric friction ring. They also have a 58mm ball (I think that's it) for larger cameras, but the price starts to approach Arca and RRS by then. To me, the appeal of the FLM head is the quality and performance of the big guys, with lower price.

Ari - Was it the 38mm head that could "easily support a heavy 8x10"?
    No, it was the 58FT, Cletus. The 38FT is rated for 20kg (44lbs), so it should hold most 8x10 field cameras comfortably.

For me, the attraction of these ball heads is the tilt lock; at this price, I don't know of any other manufacturer offering a similar feature until you get into $1000 Arca/Linhof territory.

I do plan on buying another 38FT, new; and if that goes well, I'd spring for the 58 for the 8x10, if I thought it was needed.

I have since returned the 38FT to the owner, and purchased a new 48FT from Speed Graphic in the UK.
    The 48FT is a mid-size model, unavailable at B&H, and it cost £178 including shipping ($279), and excluding VAT.
    The heads come with a 5-year warranty.

So, I have my fingers crossed that the first head was just old and worn out.

Ari, is the angle of the tilt lock adjustable or fixed?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Peter, the angle is adjustable; once locked up, the ball can only move forward or backward, at the angle at which you've set.

I think from everything I've read here and elsewhere, FLM must be one of the best values in quality ballheads out there. I need to look again as I didn't realize there was a 48mm model (thanks Ari) and its starting to look like this might be a short list item for my 'new gear acquisition' list.

I don't have too much trouble with my traditional RRS ballhead, but I definitely like the idea of the Axis Lock feature and there's no way I'm putting out $1200 for the big Arca!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Peter, the angle is adjustable; once locked up, the ball can only move forward or backward, at the angle at which you've set.
    That's slick!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I just ordered the 48FT from SpeedGraphic; at that price, it would be hard to beat.
    FLM in Germany replied to my email, saying the full line-up should be at B&H this spring, and at Henry's in Canada as well.

I will post more when I receive the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    They are excellent tripods, and I don't say that because we are their US distributor either.
    I concur. Excellent tripod. And I use mine without a head just fine for 4x5. Although I am thinking if getting one of the FM ball heads for use with my 5D. for the first time I wanted to point my camera up two weekends ago, and I couldn't due to the 30º limitation.

Bob do you know which of those FLM heads will fit best with the the berlebach (size wise)? I realize you may not be an LM dealer, just wondering if you know...