Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Recommend a Ball Head for 4x5

Re: Please Recommend a Ball Head for 4x5

I had a very nice Novoflex, which I still use for my Mamiya 7. They are expensive, but deliciously well made. However, I can't use it for my 4x5. I got the smaller Gitzo magnesium...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Thanks Peter and Lenny.
    Will look at each of those.

I think this is exactly what you looking for, a geared ball head-the Arca D4. The only problem is its price tag :P

I prefer a three-way conventional head, but for the heavy view cameras, the Reis head is terrific.

A Manfrotto 468MGRC4 Hydrostatic Ball Head holds up my 4x5 and 8x10 cameras. It weighs 28 ounces and holds up to 35 pounds. The hydraulic locking system is super strong with only light finger pressure. I got mine cheap from KEH.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

I used a 410 geared head most of the time, but for something lighter I've used this with my 5x4 with great results:

http://www.daveparryphotography.co.u...allhead-review

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    I think this is exactly what you looking for, a geared ball head-the Arca D4. The only problem is its price tag :P
    Damn nice, but you're right, too much $$$. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I prefer a three-way conventional head, but for the heavy view cameras, the Reis head is terrific.
    It looks terrific, but way too large for my tripod. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    A Manfrotto 468MGRC4 Hydrostatic Ball Head holds up my 4x5 and 8x10 cameras. It weighs 28 ounces and holds up to 35 pounds. The hydraulic locking system is super strong with only light finger pressure. I got mine cheap from KEH.
    I had considered that, too, but I'm looking for a ball head that thinks it's a 3-way head. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    I used a 410 geared head most of the time, but for something lighter I've used this with my 5x4 with great results:

http://www.daveparryphotography.co.u...allhead-review
    Dave, I read your review and I'm looking hard at the FLM line; they do look impressive and I like the features a lot.
    Thanks for that.

I briefly tried using a ballhead (a very nice arca-swiss) but soon figured out it was not working for me. Obviously they work for some photographers, but for me I found it very difficult to adjust for level on one axis without messing up the other. It's not the tiniest thing out there, but the Manfrotto 410 is really just about the best thing going under $1k. It makes leveling the camera easy and fast.

The Linhof 3-way leveling head is also very nice. It's a bit sturdier and smaller than the Manfrotto but you lose the gearing. I'd say it (the Linhof 3663) is the closest thing you can get to having ballhead size and rigidity with 3-way head convenience. Sometimes the used prices aren't too bad.

Maybe one of the leveling heads? Not as likely to flop over, but not as adjustable either. If you weren't preferring to use carbon fiber, I'd have suggested a leitz tiltall for three way head and modest tripod.

Thanks, Noah.
    I would strongly consider getting a Linhof head, despite it being heavier than my tripod. Anything Linhof is great, the prices sometimes give me pause.
    The 410 has been hailed as the greatest thing ever, and I'm sure it is wonderful, but I prefer tripods and heads to be rated well above what I need; the 410 just clears the weight I need.

JP, the leveling heads are a consideration, but like you said, are somewhat restricted in movements; I had a Tiltall, but it wasn't seeing any use, so I sold it.
    Good tripod, but the CF I have is much lighter and folds much smaller, so for me, it's a better travel tripod.
    Thanks.