Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Recommend a Ball Head for 4x5

Re: Please Recommend a Ball Head for 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    I use ball heads exclusively and can't imagine one reason why anyone else shouldn't consider it.
    Can you recommend one or two, Joe?
    Thanks Bob and Joseph.

If you have to use a ball head, the RRS ones are very nice.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I suggest strongly that you take a look at the Acratech ballheads. I have an early model which has worked flawlessly for 10 years with my 5x7. There are now many models to choose from, they are lightweight, and made in America (OK, SoCal). They are available directly from the manufacturer, as well as B&H. I only offer you this advice because you have indicated that you have seen the light, and are willing to cross the perilous divide between the morally superior, unyielding pan headers and the tolerant, enlightened ball headers .

If you happen to decide on one that suits your 'lockable axis' needs, please report back here. Thanks.

Thanks again, Peter, thanks ROL.
    Will have a look-see.

Ari, I don't think my setup fits your requirement. It's pretty heavy duty. It's a Zone VI tripod and Bogen head. Check it out HERE. I don't really use it any more. In fact, I think I'm gonna list it right now.

;^)

The FLM t(ilt) ballhead is what you want
    http://www.flm-gmbh.com/en/product4a_1.html
    With the two top knobs loose it acts as a ballhead and with the smaller knob tightened the ball moves only in one direction. Just got the big one for an 8x10 setup and I think it is very good value for money.
    Ps. it pans also

Holy cow, Joe, that's a good set-up, but too large for me.
    You'll sell it here lickety-split, I think.

Thanks, Bill; I will investigate.
    I've seen a lot of great ball heads, but nothing that would yet convince me to give up on 3-way heads for LF.

I'm firmly in the ballhead camp, both 4x5 and 8x10 (Wood Field 8x10). People go on endlessly about how poorly suited ballheads are for LF, but I don't agree. The only instance I've seen where a 3-way head might have had some real advantage was with a big Sinar 8x10, a heavier monorail camera that was more difficult to level for its weight and its height when mounted on the tripod. Unless you're incredibly fastidious about perfect level and perfect alignment, you shouldn't have any problem with your lightweight Technikardan using a quality ballhead. The Sinar or Linhof type pan-tilt heads also appear to be a good option, but I have no experience there.

With that said, there are many quality ballheads to choose from in all price ranges. In many cases you really get what you pay for. Really Right Stuff BH-55 and Arca-Swiss B1/Z1 are pretty much the top models - and reflected in the price. But then your camera isn't exactly an inexpensive entry level model either is it? I use the BH-55 and can't imagine I'll ever need to look further, or buy another tripod head.

Well, all the ball-head users are coming out; you guys were pretty well-hidden
    Cletus, thanks for the recommendation.
    I am quite exacting when it comes to levelling the camera, if it's architecture.
    The ball head can certainly get me there, but the 3-way head gets me there faster and with less of a headache.
    That said, I like what I've seen from Arca, Acratech, RRS, and Sunwayfoto; I'll get something in the next few days and post it here.
    If it goes well, I might even trade my venerable Manfrotto 229 for a ball head.

Thanks, everybody!

To throw in one more ballhead which has not been mentioned, look at the Markins line. When I bought mine they were the lightest in their class, comparing very well with the Arca heads in quality. I have mine on a carbon fiber gitzo, it is a nice light weight set-up, but I keep looking for an equally light and compact three-way head, just haven't found one yet. IMHO, ball heads work very nicely for landscapes, portraits and still life, but are a bit of a pain with architecture, where the three-way comes into its own.