Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upon the number of posts...

Re: Upon the number of posts...

I have posted a handful of images on here and APUG to at least give some credence to that fact I shoot full time. I do very well in my genre with just word of mouth, reputation....with zero marketing, no website, no Flickr garbage and I intend to keep it that way.

My business model works outstanding so I see no need to slather my images all over the net, sorry....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Too bad there isn't a pseudo-quote feature!

--------------

I was thinking that it could be like a nag feature for someone to post more images. As far as a pro being paranoid about an image on the web being used without permission, if that image comes up on a computer screen then it can be used. That's the purpose of the "Print Screen" button. What's on the screen gets copied to the clipboard and then the user can paste that into an editor. If someone were paranoid about an image being used, then just upload a copy that had been saved at a low quality compression level. Placing an image in a Flash presentation does not prevent its exploitation. It just means that a little more effort has to be made to aquire the image.

I wouldn't consider an image counter to be some kind of cure-all, but I find that a significant part of the forum's value for me to be in the images people upload. And when I'm reading what someone posted, I have, many times, made searches to find what images that person has displayed here. Why? Because images are also information. And that becomes part of the weight of credence I give to a person. So, yeah, I pay attention when CJ Broadbent says to try one thing or another. I can look at his images, and I know that that's a person that I should trust for that information.

It's the doing that proves the saying. And here, the photographs are the doing.

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    And what about the fact that many of us copy an already posted image by another member back onto the site in our own commentary in order to reference that image for either compliment or critique? How would the site possibly differentiate the fact that this image is not one's own?
    What about it indeed? There is already a substantial thread addressing reposting of images here. I have found it almost never necessary to do so myself, and see even rarer occasions to justify other's reposting proclivities. It's either ignorance of how to edit quotes, or laziness on the part of the reposter. Just say no to reposting images.

Be that as it may, an image can easily be omitted from a personal count when it is part of a quote. If, then, gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    I have posted a handful of images on here and APUG to at least give some credence to that fact I shoot full time. I do very well in my genre with just word of mouth, reputation....with zero marketing, no website, no Flickr garbage and I intend to keep it that way.

My business model works outstanding so I see no need to slather my images all over the net, sorry....
    Kudos to you and your business model. However, I find your consideration of members desire to post for marketing purposes to be faulty and insulting. I don't see much evidence of that here on LFPF (or APUG), and some us even do it altruistically, even with the overstated "risk" of being filched. Please instruct us as to the exact formula for the number of posted images per post so that we may all follow your lead. BTW, it certainly escaped my attention that you are a full time shooter. Perhaps it's worth a reminder that the name of this venue is Large Format Photography Forum. Images, when judiciously posted, can augment written communication (...worth a thousand words).

There's just no getting around the fact that people do like images, and the web these days, like it or not, is all about communicating with images, not just verbose prattlings. Any image maker of any ilk who does not realize the importance of images on the net is beyond naive. Being a maker, and not only a taker of photographs, not just ones and zeroes, nothing I've ever posted, including self produced videos, here has ever been targeted for sale (marketed) to anyone here. It never even occurred to me that given the nature of my work, and the general aesthetic of the membership so experienced over the years, that anyone here would have the remotest interest in my work, much less purchasing any of it. The most I've ever been able to hope (probably against all logic) is that my images are some evidence of some valid experience, and that even now, I'm still occasionally, gettin' her done.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Too bad there isn't a pseudo-quote feature!

--------------

I was thinking that it could be like a nag feature for someone to post more images. As far as a pro being paranoid about an image on the web being used without permission, if that image comes up on a computer screen then it can be used. That's the purpose of the "Print Screen" button. What's on the screen gets copied to the clipboard and then the user can paste that into an editor. If someone were paranoid about an image being used, then just upload a copy that had been saved at a low quality compression level. Placing an image in a Flash presentation does not prevent its exploitation. It just means that a little more effort has to be made to aquire the image.

I wouldn't consider an image counter to be some kind of cure-all, but I find that a significant part of the forum's value for me to be in the images people upload. And when I'm reading what someone posted, I have, many times, made searches to find what images that person has displayed here. Why? Because images are also information. And that becomes part of the weight of credence I give to a person. So, yeah, I pay attention when CJ Broadbent says to try one thing or another. I can look at his images, and I know that that's a person that I should trust for that information.

It's the doing that proves the saying. And here, the photographs are the doing.

You have to think about what would motivate (or not) a pro to post images in a BBS. Most pros have a website so there is no paranoia in posting images to the internet. And many pros who participate here provide a link to their web site in either their profile or in their signature - so their credibility as a photographer is easily checked. Most pros already have their marketing dialed in, and I doubt that posting images here would impact that in a meaningful and positive way. Most pros don't need their images critiqued by members here, and they probably don't need to have their ego stroked by gaining credibility here by posting images to build up an image count. And having credibility as a pro certainly hasn't stopped people from attacking them or their ideas. I think Brian K. is one of the most creative photographers around, and has as much credibility as anyone here with his background as a studio photographer and fine art photographer. But that hasn't stopped people from rudely attacking him when he has shared his thoughts in this forum. I don't see an image count tracker changing that.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post

You shouldn't even have to do that for credibility as far as I'm concerned. It is quite clear from the tenor of most posts if someone knows what they are talking about or are mistaken in their facts.

Upon the number of posts...

This is a discussion group--a "questions and answers forum"--not a gallery.

Rick "who loves to see good photos" Denney

I post very few images just because I'm not here to post images.
    I'm here to educate myself better, and once in a while, I hope I can help someone else learn something as well.
    If a photo helps the explanation, or if I'm seeking specific feedback, I'll post a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Kudos to you and your business model. However, I find your consideration of members desire to post for marketing purposes to be faulty and insulting. I don't see much evidence of that here on LFPF (or APUG), and some us even do it altruistically, even with the overstated "risk" of being filched. Please instruct us as to the exact formula for the number of posted images per post so that we may all follow your lead. BTW, it certainly escaped my attention that you are a full time shooter. Perhaps it's worth a reminder that the name of this venue is Large Format Photography Forum. Images, when judiciously posted, can augment written communication (...worth a thousand words).
    You said what I was going to say (more or less).

Sharing images on this forum isn't to give credence to any ability to shoot, whether full time or otherwise. I'd like to think we're not a penis waving contest.

How about sharing because we like to look at photographs?